Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Could use a little advice RE: baffles/ decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Rick014
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use a little advice RE: baffles/ decel pop

Although I've been riding for many years I bought my first Harley (used) this last winter. The bike is a 2012 super glide custom. Among the mods done to the bike are a screaming eagle intake, re map and vance and hines straight shot slip on exhaust. The problem I'm having is a lot of decell pop. I've tried silicone on the joints to seal any air leaks, with no success. I've talked to a mechanic at the dealership that sold me the bike and he suggested a full pack and about 3 hours on the dyno, saying it would make it better and no guarantees. About a thousand bucks after taxes (expensive up here in Canada). To be honest I can't afford that right now. The problem he said is that the straight shot is not a muffler and has only a cheese grader style of baffle. He let me try some stock mufflers which got rid of the decell pop but are way to quiet for my liking. If anybody has some suggestions for an inexpensive muffler that's louder than stock or another solution I would appreciate your input. I was thinking about the slip in baffles V and H makes, but not sure if they would help or I'd just be wasting my money. Another option I was thinking about was the cycle shack slip on mufflers. Can anybody tell me if they are any good or how they compare to the stock mufflers for loudness?
Thanks for your input and advice

Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 AM
spr0k3t
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bike is too lean on the decal and with the back flow on those pipes you will have popping. The solutions; a really good dyno tech, a fuel tuner, or an ecm flash tuner. Your cheapest route will probably be a fuel tuner which does nothing more than richen the mixture. A good dyno tech can fix the pops but can be expensive and you would need another tune if you upgrade to a stage 2. The ecm flash tuner like the tts, fp3, or power vision would be your most effective route. You manage your tune so you can upgrade your ride when you want. Don't get me wrong, a good dyno tech can give you great results. What little experience I have, I don't think baffles would cure your decel pops. An alternate route is to go with a different set of mufflers, but then keeping it on the cheap is another story.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Rick014
2nd Gear

Thanks for your input and expertise. Are all fuel tuners the same or are some more user friendly than others ? If I went with different mufflers, any recommendations on those ?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
spr0k3t
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Each person is going to be after a different sound so it's hard for me to say what is going to be good. The best solution is to head down to a bike night somewhere and talk with other bikers. Tuners wise some are easier to use than others. Some require a laptop or smartphone to fine tune where others are all inclusive. What I would suggest is to give the guys over at fuelmoto a call and ask to talk with one of the exhaust guys. They have been amazing help for me when I was putting together my stage 1. I spent a little more than I should have but it was worth it.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Rick014
2nd Gear

thanks for the help

Old 06-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What my help also is to take out the cheese grater baffles and replace them with the V&H quiet baffles. They are made differently and have fiberglass wraps and a little obstruction near the front of the baffle to provide some backpressure to the system. This can help with your decel popping. I have them in my Supertrapp Mean Mothers II pipes and find that they work well for me. Good luck.