Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

FLHTK Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Red FLHTK
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHTK Exhaust

Hi Guys, I need some advice. I own a 2010 Ultra Limited, stock apart from SE slip ons. It's high time for a Stage 1 up grade but before I do I want to do my research and understand the things I'm changing on what is currently a reliable bike. I thought I'd first start with the exhaust system. The current stock headers contain the o2 sensors and cat converter which I understand create excessive heat and restrict the exhaust gas. Can someone explain what the o2 sensors are used for. If I buy a set of headers, I've heard D & D to be a good unit, I do away with the sensors and cat convector? Can I then bolt on my SE slip ons? What does the disconnection of the o2 sensors and cat converter do to my bike? I understand that the rest of the stage 1 consists of air cleaner and tuner, but I would like to understand the exhaust system first. I'm in Australia and want to ship parts for the States, therefore, I would like to know what I'm doing is correct and also what is the best product for my ride. I would really appreciate any input. Cheers, form Down Under.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any aftermarket pipes you buy will come with sensor bungs, so don't sweat that part. Their purpose is to allow "output" information to go back to your ECM or other aftermarket tuning/EFI device, such as Power Vision, ThunderMax, etc. (there are numerous brands). Unless you buy a complete exhaust system (example: V&H 2into1 pro pipe), you'll need or be able to apply the slip-ons.

One thing you should pay attention to is placement of the O2 sensors on any pipes you buy because some of the aftermarket tuning devices require them to be in a certain area. For your bike, you may have to buy '09 pipes to have the O2 sensors in the right spot, but just read carefully about the tuning device you have and it should tell you. Or call and ask them (I know time diff may be a challenge where you are).

Hard to answer what the "best" product is for you. Depends on what you're going for (performance...sound...looks...) and how much you want to spend.

With new pipes and air cleaner, you probably will need a re-tune or re-map of your ECM for optimal performance with the new setup.

Not absolutely everything there is to know, but hope it helps.