Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 AM
drcrazytrain
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question

I have these on a 2012 Ultra, is there any mods that can be done to the Monster Rounds to make them louder, deeper rumble ?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Take the baffles out?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM
drcrazytrain
Road Master

I didn't know if the we're remove able or not, Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 AM
Allison Wunderland
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same set up, Power Duals, 4 1/2" Monster Rounds. No baffles in mine, but they offer an optional baffle if you want to quiet things down. Baffles are removable.

Without baffles the pipes are deep and basso rumble nice. Not deafening.

I wonder if yours are baffled?

If you pull the baffles, you'll need to Dyno again.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:50 PM
drcrazytrain
Road Master

TTS I will just build a new map!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drcrazytrain
I have these on a 2012 Ultra, is there any mods that can be done to the Monster Rounds to make them louder, deeper rumble ?
Thinking about these for my 2011 FLHTK. Do you like 'em? Did you install yourself? If yes, how painful was it?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Thinking about these for my 2011 FLHTK. Do you like 'em? Did you install yourself? If yes, how painful was it?
I have a 2014 limited with power duals and monster ovals.
Tuned with a FP3. They have a bit of scavenging on Decel below 2,000 RPM with a few soft pops here or there. Nothing bad. Id like to try and tune some of it out, but there noted for it because there so big. The guys I ride with say they can't hear what I'm talking about so it just may be because i'm in front of them. They say it's a nice grumble when coming to a stop.

Install on the Power Duals was tedious. You have to loosely fit the pipe and snug the bracket, then line everything up, remove the pipe and torque the bracket to the transmission (Could not get anything on the trans bolts with the pipe on the bracket). I'm a stickler for torquing bolts and it bothers me when I cannot.
I can see these pipes having exhaust leaks easily if not properly seated in the gaskets though.
The crossover pipe is a bitch to tighten the bolt that holds the bracket to the transmission also, you don't get much room to get a socket allen in there because the tire is too close. I used regular allen wrench, but guessed at the torque.
The Monster Ovals go on easy and bolt up easy. I used some copper gasket sealer to be sure it was sealed good on both slip ons and on the crossover connection.
Over all i like them. Low deep rumble and its just loud enough to listen to the radio at highway speeds. they sound kind of tuned when you roll on the throttle (like a nice tuned truck exhaust) I suppose it would be a little quieter if I used the stock pipe with the cat in it but they sound good this way.

Smitty

Last edited by Smittyjf; 06-10-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Smitty. Very helpful. Did the V&H come with the required gaskets & brackets when you purchased, or did you have to go buy extra stuff to complete the install? Any special tools you needed?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Smittyjf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Thanks, Smitty. Very helpful. Did the V&H come with the required gaskets & brackets when you purchased, or did you have to go buy extra stuff to complete the install? Any special tools you needed?
My PD came with flat gaskets, but i bought the tapered ones with it. The PD head pipes and slip-ons come with everything needed to install but id suggest new flange clips and exhaust head nuts (the flange clip that goes on the pipe where the big flange holds it to the head) The clips tend to weaken a little so if a few bucks I always replace them. the exhaust nuts go on better when their new also. You can get them at your HD dealer. Also a tube of High Temp Coper casket maker to go on the crossover pipe and slip-on connections. Some even put a small bead on the inside of the gasket or the tip of the head pipe where it meets the head for a better seal. Just be careful not to put too much if you do as it could gob up and restrict the flow.
Eastern Performance had the best price on my Power Duals and ship for free and in PA I get them in 1 day because they are right across the line in Maryland (Plus no tax). They give forum members a 5% discount too. enter coupon code "Forum5" at checkout
Smitty

Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain

Update on gaskets. I've been detecting a possible exhaust leak, and since this header was a bitch to angle right during installation, I decided to pull it off today and found a leak on each port.
I used the tapered gaskets instead of the flat ones on my original install and found a leak on both gaskets on the bottom. You can see the carbon marks on the gasket and also on the port where the gasket sits in. I had already picked up new set of flat and tapered gaskets at HD before i started this project just to see what worked better and I was surprised to see that the pipes fit 100% better with the flat stock ones. I lined up the tapered ones on the tip of the pipe just to see the fit and they don't accept the edge very well. it's pretty much the same size, so if you don't get it level and lined up right, it will not crush properly.
Not saying tapered won't work, but flat seal perfectly (you still need to torque properly too)
I did a small bead of Copper Gasket on it too just for good measure.

Smitty

Quick Reply: V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question