Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM
kadjenter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H PD's Fit Up Problem on 2014 StreetGlide

Hope someone in the thread can help me. Installing PD's on my bike right now. With PD's loose bolted, get good clearance between crossover connection and transmission case; see pic 3. Once everything is bolted up, crossover connection moves up and jams against the transmission case; see pic 4. I noticed that when the exhaust flange on the rear cyclinder is tightened, that's when the PD's flex and the crossover connection moves upward. Any advise on how to fix?

Attached Thumbnails V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question-3-pd-installed-all-bolts-loose.jpg   V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question-4-pd-installed-all-bolts-tightened.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kadjenter
Hope someone in the thread can help me. Installing PD's on my bike right now. With PD's loose bolted, get good clearance between crossover connection and transmission case; see pic 3. Once everything is bolted up, crossover connection moves up and jams against the transmission case; see pic 4. I noticed that when the exhaust flange on the rear cyclinder is tightened, that's when the PD's flex and the crossover connection moves upward. Any advise on how to fix?
Just having mine off again yesterday I can tell you that's where my crossover connection sits. In fact the clamp has to be angled down so it goes to where the end of the connection of the pipe is (or it hits the trans case).
I'll take a pic later when I get home. I know it's real close.
Can you get the crossover pipe on? Did you use flat or tapered gaskets at the head? I don't believe mine actually contacts the trans case, but it's only a few millimeters clearance.
Read my other post about needing to use the flat gaskets. The pipes bolted to the head real good and easy with them as opposed to the tapered ones. The tapered I originally used had caused good leaks that you couldn't see unless you removed the pipes (other than some decel pop)

Smitty

Last edited by Smittyjf; 06-12-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 AM
kadjenter
6th Gear

Smittyjf
Thanks for reply. Yes I did read your post and glad to have that info. I was thinking about trying the HD tapered gaskets, but not now. You're right, the headpipes fit really well on both exhaust ports. But when I bolts everything up, there's not even enough room to slip the clamp onto the crossover connection. I can get the crossover pipe slipped into the headpipe. I can even get the clamp on the crossover pipe and bolted to the support bracket under on the back of the transmission case. Maybe I could get the support bracket clamp tightened up to force a gap between the transmission case and the pipe clamp. But I want a proper fit. Talking with V&H now to see how they tell me to resolve.

If you can would appreciate a pic of your install. Thanks

Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 PM
drcrazytrain
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installation

The install takes a bit longer than others, because you have to assemble loosely and the torque down the mounting brackets then tighten everything else up.

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Thinking about these for my 2011 FLHTK. Do you like 'em? Did you install yourself? If yes, how painful was it?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kadjenter
Smittyjf
Thanks for reply. Yes I did read your post and glad to have that info. I was thinking about trying the HD tapered gaskets, but not now. You're right, the headpipes fit really well on both exhaust ports. But when I bolts everything up, there's not even enough room to slip the clamp onto the crossover connection. I can get the crossover pipe slipped into the headpipe. I can even get the clamp on the crossover pipe and bolted to the support bracket under on the back of the transmission case. Maybe I could get the support bracket clamp tightened up to force a gap between the transmission case and the pipe clamp. But I want a proper fit. Talking with V&H now to see how they tell me to resolve.

If you can would appreciate a pic of your install. Thanks
Mine looks like your first picture

Attached Thumbnails V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question-image.jpg   V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question-image2.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM
kadjenter
6th Gear

Smittyjf
Thanks. Looks like V&H are sending me a new set of PD's under warranty. Hopefully these will fit like yours.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
mgardner
Intermediate

Hey guys - been reading your posts and considering this on my 13 FLHTK. No worries on the install of PDs and slip ons, but did you do your own EFI remap? After the breather upgrade and new exhaust I want to do that but not sure how to go about it. Love working on my bike but don't want to screw it up. Is it as easy as hooking up a Power Commander or similar and following their instructions?

Or should I take it to the dealer and let them do it all...

Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgardner
Hey guys - been reading your posts and considering this on my 13 FLHTK. No worries on the install of PDs and slip ons, but did you do your own EFI remap? After the breather upgrade and new exhaust I want to do that but not sure how to go about it. Love working on my bike but don't want to screw it up. Is it as easy as hooking up a Power Commander or similar and following their instructions?

Or should I take it to the dealer and let them do it all...

Thanks for any advice.
Definitely easy enough to do yourself without spending big bucks to pay a dealer to do it. Lots of tuning device options as well, and of course everyone has their favorites. I am personally a ThunderMax fan, but I'm not going to act like it's the best or that others out there won't do just as well. Compare a few different options and pick whatever you like the best.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM
kadjenter
6th Gear

Got PD's and monster rounds installed. Also installed HD SE heavy breather. Started bike and as it heated up, chrome on heat shield on front cylinder pipe only started bubbling and cracking. After running for a test ride, chrome had several cracks and began peeling off. Only on the front cylinder heat shield. Anybody else have this problem?

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the flat gaskets that V&H supplied. I did do a re-torque on the flange nuts after each ride once the system cooled off. Took three times before they didn't want to tighten anymore, so something to check as well.

No problems with the install on my 14 RK.

Quick Reply: V&H PowerDuals & Monster Rounds Question