Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Deep tone mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Jim Achey
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep tone mufflers

Just installed V&H true duals and reused my V&H Ovals. Its louder now. I would like to know what to look for in deep tone mufflers. I am also open to trades.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:46 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you won't find better "deep rumble" sound pipes than CFR and Thunderheaders.

Both come with a caveat though, loss of backpressure which results in loss of low end TQ. How much, I don't know and neither does anyone else (unless they've actually done a comparison on a Dyno). Call Cory Faas and he'll tell you a couple of ft lbs max but then he's selling his pipes so take that with a grain of salt.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 AM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the CFR's, they sound really good - long term quality sucks
I have Jackpot Pro Touring with their header and really loke the sound not as obsene as the CFR's
I also had Fullsac header and cores, perfect fit and perform great, sound was to quiet for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:40 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts
Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe101
I had the CFR's, they sound really good - long term quality sucks
I have Jackpot Pro Touring with their header and really loke the sound not as obsene as the CFR's
I also had Fullsac header and cores, perfect fit and perform great, sound was to quiet for me.
you seem to have a beef with CFR since this is the 2nd post in as many minutes trashing them.

Be a little more specific other than "long term quality sucks" and "you can feel the TQ dip at the seat, not sure how that relates to a dyno" otherwise your comments are worthless and not useful to anyone.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
you won't find better "deep rumble" sound pipes than CFR and Thunderheaders.

Both come with a caveat though, loss of backpressure which results in loss of low end TQ. How much, I don't know and neither does anyone else (unless they've actually done a comparison on a Dyno). Call Cory Faas and he'll tell you a couple of ft lbs max but then he's selling his pipes so take that with a grain of salt.
I would think this would not be the case with just slip ons, no? You shouldn't lose anything if running stock headers.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:58 AM
jetfixer62
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had CFR's on my Limited. I loved the way they sounded, and with all else stock I didn't have any problem with them. When I went with Jackpot 2-1-2 head pipes is when it went south. I did cam's and an intake as well...but I think it's the headers that are the problem. Between no-cat headers and the wide open CFR's there just isn't enough back pressure for proper scavenging and such. Switched to Jackpot 4" slip-ons and all's well. I'll be putting the CFR's up in the classifieds soon. BTW, as far as CFR quality, no peeling or flaking issues on mine, I know there was supposedly a batch at one point that had some chroming issues.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

after putting them on and riding it a little while with no change whatsoever to the tune, I notice no difference in the seat of the pants with the Rinehart Slimline Dual head pipe. Of course once I get it up to Ed to tune, I'm sure that will differ but I'm also going to go ahead and grab the TTI from DK Customs to have on hand while at the tuner. If need be I'll put them in there and proceed to see what difference it makes.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Jim Achey
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much for your CFR`s Jetfixer?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I had an hour long conversation with Kevin from DK Custom last night. In our talks it was disclosed to me that backpressure is not the issue but instead it's reversion. It's the amount of air that's being sucked back into exhaust stream (yep it gets sucked back in) and is fighting against the air moving outward of motor and the exhaust pipes. Here is my CFRs. take a look at the left pipe especially and you can see what reversion is actually doing by sucking air back into the exhaust stream. this is supposedly where the TTIs come into play by preventing most of that from going back in. I don't know that to be fact but sure sounds logical to me. I will certainly test it when they come in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzbaeolbgcyfvxq/CFRs.mp4

Quick Reply: Deep tone mufflers