Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

custom exhaust and baffles??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007 | 08:12 PM
codsack
|
Advanced
Default custom exhaust and baffles??

I'm thinking pretty hard about making my own exhaust, (I'm sure some will say no don't do it, and others go for it.) for my 07 street bob. I was looking at some samson exhaust baffles, but I was wondering if anyone has any hard facts about what length or size will work best? I plan on making the exhaust end inbetween the swing arm bolt and the axle. I want loud, but still want performance too. I have fabricated 2 complete exhausts (one on my 240z and one on my dodge cummins) so I don't have much problem fitting pipes, but they're both turbocharged and less backpressure is best with those. I don't have anyexperience plumbing for a 96B motor, and was wondering if some of you guys can give me some tips and knowledge as to what works best with one of these motors as far as baffle size/length, fab a crossover or not, or just any tips period about fabbing exhaust for a NA harley? Any advice is cool.
Chase

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:03 AM
codsack
|
Advanced
Default RE: custom exhaust and baffles??

Well....maybe I'll order some 8" samson baffles. I plan on taking it up to the dealer for a dyno tune after I get my programer to go with the big sucker.The only thing that really is in question is the Power to Loud ratio. If I get the 8" samson baffles and they aren't loud enough (to my liken) I could always cut them off some and reinstall, but I'm wondering how much it'll affect backpressure (and power) if I cut them shorter. Another thing, and maybe someone can clear this up for me, but if I'm not mistaken on most tuners you program the air intake and exhaust into it. How would I program for a custom exhaust??? Just let the guy at the dealer running the dyno worry about it and work it out for the best performance???
Chase