Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Need Help- Engine running to 3500rpm upon start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014 | 09:45 AM
Tweeter07
|
1st Gear
Default Need Help- Engine running to 3500rpm upon start up

I have an Ultima 127" with Super G (with velocity stack)
Jets 33/84 with 47 air bleed.

Idle Mixture Screw, 2 turns from lightly seated. (stock is 1 1/4)
Idle Speed Screw, ½ turn clockwise from engagement point.
Accelerator Adjustment Screw, two turns counter-clockwise from seated.

I am just starting the motor for the first time and it started right away but races up to about 3000-3500rpm in a few seconds.

I have gone thru the S&S instructions for the carb, manaul for the motor etc and I can't seem to get the bike to idle down.

I think it is getting too much gas and possible air leak. I have torqued down everything from the heads/ intake/ carb. That did not change anything.

I have started it on 3 different occasions but all same results.

Where did I go from here?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Tweeter

Old 01-30-2014 | 10:48 AM
Tweeter07
|
1st Gear

100 views and no one has an opinion??? I would like to hear any advice good or bad. I plan to work on it this saturday.
Checking for intake leaks and then changing jets.
Unless someone else has a better idea.
Tweeter

Old 01-30-2014 | 11:49 PM
evostroker
Cruiser

Jets wont affect the idle speed very much. Disconnect the throttle cable, and turn the idle screw until the throttle blade closes completely. If the throttle blade is closed and it idles @ 3500 you got a big @ss vacumm leak.

Old 01-31-2014 | 07:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tweeter07
100 views and no one has an opinion??? I would like to hear any advice good or bad. I plan to work on it this saturday.
Checking for intake leaks and then changing jets.
Unless someone else has a better idea.
Tweeter
Welcome to HDF from the UK. Take a look at other threads and you will see it can take a great many views per reply! That simply means members that have read your post, but cannot help.

It sounds to me that either your throttle cables are not adjusted correctly, so the throttle is open when it should be closed, or your choke is not right. Don't change jets until the tickover is closer to normal levels of around 1,000rpm.

Old 02-06-2014 | 01:54 PM
Tweeter07
|
1st Gear
Default Air Leak

Originally Posted by evostroker
Jets wont affect the idle speed very much. Disconnect the throttle cable, and turn the idle screw until the throttle blade closes completely. If the throttle blade is closed and it idles @ 3500 you got a big @ss vacumm leak.
I think I found the issue. I tore everything off right down to the heads and found that my front intake flange was cracked and not flat.Attachment 356706

Once I get new flanges and seals I'll try it again. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Tweeter

Attached Thumbnails Need Help- Engine running to 3500rpm upon start up-front-intake-flange-crack.jpg   Need Help- Engine running to 3500rpm upon start up-front-intake-flange-flatness.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014 | 03:24 PM
rhythm1978
Tourer

Intake leak is my guess. I had the carb off my Sportster a few weeks ago and didn't get it sealed up well when I re-installed. It did almost the exact same thing. I took the carb off and got it properly seated. Fixed.

Old 02-10-2014 | 12:36 PM
Tweeter07
|
1st Gear
Default Still run at 3500prm... SH*T

Well I installed new seals and flanges on the intake. Put everything back on and fired it up…

Still running at 3500-4000rpm. Took the throttle cable off to make sure the butterfly is closed; adjusted air/fuel mixture with no apparent change.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the carb. I took it apart and checked everything over and i can not see anything out of place. I am positive I have no intake leaks (spray test with WD40). I am going to see if my local hop will lend me a different carb to test.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Tweet

Last edited by Tweeter07; 02-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2014 | 08:14 PM
Huskerjim
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tweeter07
Well I installed new seals and flanges on the intake. Put everything back on and fired it up…

Still running at 3500-4000rpm. Took the throttle cable off to make sure the butterfly is closed; adjusted air/fuel mixture with no apparent change.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the carb. I took it apart and checked everything over and i can not see anything out of place. I am positive I have no intake leaks (spray test with WD40). I am going to see if my local hop will lend me a different carb to test.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Tweet

Next step when you start it up make sure throttle cable is completely disconnected to carb to make sure there is not a problem with the cable and linkage. When you do that try again if still a problem, check the timing has it been messed with?

Last edited by Huskerjim; 02-11-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-10-2014 | 12:49 PM
Tweeter07
|
1st Gear
Default no help

Originally Posted by Huskerjim
Next step when you start it up make sure throttle cable is completely disconnected to carb to make sure there is not a problem with the cable and linkage. When you do that try again if still a problem, check the timing has it been messed with?
Tried it again and same results. Disconnected cable and it didn't move.
Just received another carb to try. I'll let you know what happens with this one.
Thanks
Tweeter