Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

99 FLHR factory carb de-gum question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:43 AM
RoadKingon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 FLHR factory carb de-gum question

Okay -- so my buddies 99 FLHR sat around for 5 months in a 140F garage (florida-summer) without being touched. Ended up with a major gummed up carb and now we are trying to get it running right.

When dis-assembling the float bowl, the brass jet (brass tube that has tiny holes in the tube sides and the outside slide needle travels in the tip to meter fuel) that screws into the base (inside the float bowl) had a silver metal cone/grommet that comes out when you uncrew the bottom brass jet. It fell on the floor and I could not tell which side goes "up" (or toward the needle). when re-installing the silver grommet inside the brass jet -- Does the flat end go up or does the stepped side (ridge+ squared off step) go "up" ? I guessed the stepped side goes up...?

We got some major dark, balled up "gum" off the brass with carb cleaner. cleaned the float valve and needle. Running much better but still missing a bit at constant speed. Need to clean the other parts of the carb now too. Anyone know of links to lessens learned and tricks to clean her up? This carb is pretty badly gummed since the battery went bad during storage and it took a while to get a working one. it's as bad as my son's ex-race YZ85 that sat outside for a year before we got it to rebuild.

Help/tips/links for reassembling/cleaning are much appreciated. I need to clean the LOW SPEED channels/jets/circuits better. Is this something that can be done here out by fuel additives? The tank is filled with fresh 93 that has some fuel additive for cleaning.

Thanks