Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Trouble starting 1340 Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Fenian32
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting 1340 Evolution

Have a newly acquired 2008 SPS Bobber with a 1340 Evolution. The engine turned over a few times and got a short ride out of it once or twice but, the overflow tube was discharging way too much gas, And I screwed around way too much with the idle screw (not related issues) now I can't get the bike to start up. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenian32
Have a newly acquired 2008 SPS Bobber with a 1340 Evolution. The engine turned over a few times and got a short ride out of it once or twice but, the overflow tube was discharging way too much gas, And I screwed around way too much with the idle screw (not related issues) now I can't get the bike to start up. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?
Does it have spark,
What does it do when it cranks?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Fenian32
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. As for it having spark, I don't think so - however, I'm not entirely sure. I was thinking the same thing. When I go to crank it up I get the sound of it trying to start but, it never really fires up and turns over. I was thinking that it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to put two new plugs into it and see what happens. Would you suggest that I try that? As I said, at the end of the day, it wouldn't hurt anything to have two new plugs. Once I've done that, and assuming that It's still not starting, what would you suggest?

Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Pull a plug out and see what it looks like. Do search for fouled plugs to compare, then hook up the wire and ground the plug out crank it over to see if you have a spark.
Then get back to us.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 11-15-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the carb float is stuck or sunk..need to take the bowl off

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,802 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Is it cranking at normal speed or is it barely moving?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

SPS = Sucker Punch Sally

IS this your ride?

I believe Blk and Chrome has the answer.

Is this a CV carb, or an even older butterfly?

Do you know what year the Evo motor is.

And I'm curious out of all the motors to put into a late model frame I would have picked a different motor. Was the Evo used? Rebuilt? Just setting around in the garage for a while? Did the 08 frame blow a motor or is it a custom build deliberately using an old EVO?

Last edited by JohnnyC; 11-15-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Added the videos
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Sounds like the carb float is stuck or sunk..need to take the bowl off
+1 Sounds like its flooding.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Fenian32
6th Gear

I so wish I could answer all your questions but, I just don't really know. I've only recently inherited this bike from a brother who owed me from twenty years back and got deployed overseas. So, this is his way of paying me back- to give me a motorcycle that I don't even know how to ride, much less work on. LOL Needless to says, I am learning to ride it and plan to enjoy it to the fullest extent possible, considering that I'd written off the debt so long ago that I actually had forgotten about it.

So, the bike. Yes, it is something similar to the one posted in the You Tube video. The engine looks exactly like the one in the video. As for, "used, rebuilt, sitting around," etc. engine. I don't think so but, I don't really know. I don't even know if it is a CV carb. or what that is. I know - it all sounds pretty lame but, I've got this thing now and am a quick learn. At this stage I believe that I'll take the advise of both Blk and Chrome & Harleycruiser. That is, I'll check the plugs and take the bowl off and see what I can see. Since it's obvious that I know less then nothing about all this, can anyone give me advise on how to go about expediting the learning curve? And or anymore tips on how to deal with this whole issue? Thanks one and all for your time and assistance.

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
SPS = Sucker Punch Sally

IS this your ride?

http://youtu.be/pi2PmquZ1QE

http://youtu.be/uIl1JBtKxEc

I believe Blk and Chrome has the answer.

Is this a CV carb, or an even older butterfly?

Do you know what year the Evo motor is.

And I'm curious out of all the motors to put into a late model frame I would have picked a different motor. Was the Evo used? Rebuilt? Just setting around in the garage for a while? Did the 08 frame blow a motor or is it a custom build deliberately using an old EVO?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fenian32
So, the bike. Yes, it is something similar to the one posted in the You Tube video. The engine looks exactly like the one in the video. As for, "used, rebuilt, sitting around," etc. engine. I don't think so but, I don't really know. I don't even know if it is a CV carb. or what that is. I know - it all sounds pretty lame but, I've got this thing now and am a quick learn. At this stage I believe that I'll take the advise of both Blk and Chrome & Harleycruiser. That is, I'll check the plugs and take the bowl off and see what I can see. Since it's obvious that I know less then nothing about all this, can anyone give me advise on how to go about expediting the learning curve? And or anymore tips on how to deal with this whole issue? Thanks one and all for your time and assistance.
Well the way to figure out your problem is to systematically test to see what the bike is doing, or not doing.
We know that you have carburetor problems but we need to find out if the bike is firing, if it has spark. Even a bike with a carburetor out of adjustment will try to fire, some time in the starting process.
Personally I would not bother the carburetor until we know we have spark.
If you have a video camera and can post to u-tube we would be able to tell a whole lot more by listening to the bike crank. Also take the air cleaner off and show us the carb so we can tell what kind it is.
Also while the cleaner is off twist the throttle and watch inside the throat and see if there is a stream of gas being sprayed into the throat.
If you have spark and gas spraying in the carb it should start, just have to figure out what is missing.
If you have the patience and the will to learn this is just a machine and can be fixed with a little knowledge.
Oh yea cool bike, got any photos?

Quick Reply: Trouble starting 1340 Evolution