Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rinehart Black Tip Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rinehart Black Tip Discoloration

It's trying to become an '08 105 Anniversary. Seriously though, my RK rineharts only turned purplish colorwhich almost matches my Black Cherry paint.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM
gregorysfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the one on the left turned purple , i called them and i get all this bull about sales slip , date of purchase , as much as you pay for those pipes there should be no questions asked especially when it is a problem they know they have. Ill live with it and when asked i'l just tell them i got the run around . Maybe if they don't sell as many they will have more time to tae care of the customers they did have. I love the product but not much customer service.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the one on the left turned purple , i called them and i get all this bull about sales slip , date of purchase , as much as you pay for those pipes there should be no questions asked especially when it is a problem they know they have. Ill live with it and when asked i'l just tell them i got the run around . Maybe if they don't sell as many they will have more time to tae care of the customers they did have. I love the product but not much customer service.
I would think that proof of purchase is not too much to ask for.

I put on a set of slip-ons a few months back, it took about 6-8 weeks for the left tip to change color. I dicked around a few more weeks to call about a replacement. I brought my sales receipt with me to work because I knew they would ask about it. I was asked to fax it over to them and they would get the paperwork started. When I did, they set up a warranty account, they take your credit card number and if you return the old parts within 30 days you are not charged. They even include a return shipping label, they pay the freight both ways. The guy on the phone told me the parts would ship in about two weeks.

Sunday, I get back from a 4 day trip and there is a new set of slip-ons waiting on me. I'm not one to take more than I ask for so I called Rinehart to see what the mistake was. I was told they were concerned that the other tip may discolor after my warranty had expired and since my purchase they had "upgraded" the baffles so they thought the right thing to do was just to replace both mufflers completely.

I don't know if I got the right guy at the right time, if it was my attitude or what but I can not complain about Rinehart's customer service. New muff's going on tomorrow, old ones going back Monday.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:49 PM
ugsweetazkandiie
Novice

Most after market exaust tend to blue but I have never seen them turn a copper color.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

I have a Rinehart 2 to 1, its OK sofar, but I was at my Indys last Sat. and another bike had one on that looked like yours!

I was like damn, thats what mine will look like soon[:@].

The tips are anodized aluminum. I think a combonation of high exhaust heat and or strong cleaning chemicals caused it.[&:]

Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
huakamark
Stage II

All,

I have an 07 Street Glide with Rinehart True Duels. I had a race tuner put in and dyno'd from the same dealer where I bought my bike.The right side tip is turning purple, and the left side is perfectly black.

I've read through the messages here...but one thing that seems to be different on mine is that (unless I'm just crazy), I swear I feel more exhaust coming from the right side pipe than I do the left. I put both hands up very close as it's idling and the right seems more powerful to the feel. Would that explain anything as to why my right side is turning purple?

I'm not a mechanic, but I'ma bit worried about the bike (other than the cap turning purple). Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Also, I emailed BUB and they said that they have a 1-year warranty on defects....but now I'll need to go talk to the dealer, since they put them on. I'm just very worried that this will keep happening and that maybe either my front cylinder is buring hotter or the pipe doesn't cool the right side as well as the left (left side pipe has the curl under the seat and then straightens out).

I would really appreciate some help/advice, thanks!

ORIGINAL: blackbeauty07

hi. our bike is doing the same thing yours did. same color and all. they just put the 4th tip on. Did they come up with anything about what causes it? or what to do? I am up for any advise. thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
bigdaddy64
Novice

I think you're right!! When I was a wee lad, and into remote-controlled trucks, we would spray Easy Oven(?) cleaner on the aluminum shocks to remove the color and polish them. Then I discovered H-D.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
TBone29
Intermediate

I just installed my Rinehart TD in early July. Here it is the end of September and my left cap is starting to turn purple and the right one is still black as the day I installed the system. I had the bike tuned and dyno'd by my dealer. I've got about $1400 into the Stage I conversion($700 of it inthe exhaust), so I'm a little upset about the discoloration. I'm going to contact BUB today.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
chuckgrove
Stage IV

I bought the Rinehart 2 into 1 pipe for my Ultra back in April - had discoloration on the end cap a couple of months later. I contacted Brad in Warranty at Bub - he told me that they're doing a new "Teflon" coat instead of black anodizing because of the discoloration issue. He sent me a new Teflon coated cap, received last week. Looks GREAT! I really don't think there is going to be any problems with this new process of theirs. Just my $.02

Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the Rinehart 2 into 1 pipe for my Ultra back in April - had discoloration on the end cap a couple of months later. I contacted Brad in Warranty at Bub - he told me that they're doing a new "Teflon" coat instead of black anodizing because of the discoloration issue. He sent me a new Teflon coated cap, received last week. Looks GREAT! I really don't think there is going to be any problems with this new process of theirs.
That's the guy who took care of my problem. He seems to understand what customer service is about.

Quick Reply: Rinehart Black Tip Discoloration