Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

exhaust vs. performance ,get facts before $$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust vs. performance ,get facts before $$$

may i suggest to all those who are considering exhaust pipes and other changes to your 2007 bikes that instead of relying on whaever anecdotal post are made here that you get the facts before you spend your money.

if you are looking for looks and sound ,then i agree with some posters here that rb has a great looker ,but so does the other 2 into 1 pipe makers . actually,they all look good to me .and i specially like the D&D pipes .but i got black holes because i read that they were quieter.

but, if you are looking for actual benefits and power increases ,get the latest issues of BAGGER ,and of AMERICAN RIDER magazines ,and then you will be properly informed .

my experience with these changes ,the ones i made to my bike ,i posted under the --TOURING --section of this site r with actual dyno information under the title --black hole ,never again, ---and it was not meant to reflect on black hole ,THEY MAKE A GREAT PIPE ,i think, but rather i posted it to show how little there is to gain with the new 96 motor when making simple mods . if you add cams ,then ,it may be a different story.

the only reason i made changes to my 07 street glide is because the bike ran great when new ,it was perfect...just perfect,and then they issued the service bulletin 903 to smooth out the torque curve ,and like an idiot ,i had it done and the bike was no longer the same .

therefore i decided to ,why not ,? try to get it back to where it was when new and maybe improve it somewhat ,and went ahead with over $2,000 of additions,air filter ,black hole pipes , pc3 and labor ,etc....and now i have little to show and it runs worse,VIBRATIONS ,than before .

but then again, this may be my bike only .and some here may like the vibrations .i do not because i ride long and hard .spmetimes for weeks at a time.

therefore do your research before you spend your money.

i am now lookng into maybe getting it back to when new ,but hd will not give me the oe MAP for this bike .

Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Default RE: exhaust vs. performance ,get facts before $$$

ffb I've been reading your posts on this subject since you started with changing exhausts, etc. I believe if you read and understood RB'S pages and several who answered your threads,including me you would not have bought a Black Hole.
Not trying to start anything hear but every question you asked on here and other sites is answered on RB'S web page. What's the best set up for your ride I do not know. I do know that a competant tuner can get your stock settings back. Don't care how expensive the dyno's are it always comes back to the person doing the tuning. I've had my bike to 3 different tuners that talked like they knew it all and didn't know ****.
If you don't want noise put your stock pipes back on and find a different mech. who knows how to get stock settings back. With the pc111 or whatever your using and air cleaner you will get some perfomance for your money. No big gains will be had until you get inside your motor, period.
Again not trying to start any **** just trying to give you a little insight from my seat. I hope you can get things fixed to your satisfaction so you can enjoy the road on your new ride.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
ffb
Tourer

back again,
thank you for your post.

i got he information on rb from all of you after i had ordered them .

but this is not my point ..i think black hole makes a good system.and they are very nice people .

my point has to do ,if you re-read my post, with overall changes to to an 07.

my post has to do with the monies spent vis a vis results .

again,please re read post.

if people are looking for looks and sound is one thing . but if they are looking for performance ,watch out unless you are ready to go all the way

Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 2,571 Posts

I understood your post. Don't know why your bike didn't respond like others have. The 07's are proving to be a headache. The changes that worked for 06 and back just aren't cutting it on the 07's. Again I hope you work things out and enjoy some seat time.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

Adding to what "back again" said, the TC 88 and the 07TC 96 are two different animals and results for the same mod are going to be different. The 88 has a 4.00 stroke. The shorter stroke lets the engine wind up quicker and reach max rpm sooner. The 96 has a 4.38 stroke. It will have more torque but take longer to wind up because of the longer throw. Also because every revolution the piston is traveling a greater distance, the piston velocity is greater producing more heat. So bottom line is they are not going to show the same results from the same mod.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FF

the 3:37 gear change will help in the seat of the pant feel, but not on the dyno. I belive for a 07, this would be the best improvement anyone could do. Most people are complaining that 6 gear is untouchable until 80ish. Rear gearing your ride will bring ALL gears into play. More responsive out of the hole and bring 6th more useable.

Good luck

Rick

btw, I'll be posting my dyno results w/ the black hole.

I HOPE MINES TURNS OUT BETTER THAN YOURS

Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main reason I plan on making any changes to my '07 (after I get her good and broken in) is the heat issue. I know, the 96" inherently puts out more heat than the88" becauseit's bigger, but let's face it, the main culprit is the lean air to fuel ratio. The fans, the heat deflectors, the oil coolers, etc. are all bandaids that address the symptoms, not the problem.

So, I will eventually add an aftermarket tuner of some type that will get the ratio back to what it should be, and I don't mean the EPA standard. I also want to get rid of that 'Y' tube by either going with duals or at least the Fullsac conversion kit. I figure letting the engine breathe better, in and out, can only be a good thing as well, so I'll go with something like a Big Sucker and some slip-ons, maybe V&H Ovals.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ffb
i am now lookng into maybe getting it back to when new ,but hd will not give me the oe MAP for this bike .
I thought part of the deal with that service bulletin, was that they's put in the new map, once, and put it back to original, once, if desired. Do you have a copy of it?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM
kwas
Cruiser

Let's get serious here. If you want that "seat of the pants feeling" then get a rice burner. No matter what modificationsare doneto a Harley, it will never be a "rocket". The standard 650cc rice burner will dance around a Harley and leave it in the dust. I don't care if you change heads, cams, exhaust, go to the 120ci, change the trans, add a sert, AC, etc etc etc. If you want to fly then your working on the wrong machine. It's like trying to make a F-150 run like a Porshe..........

This bike was built for low end torq.....

Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kwas
Let's get serious here. If you want that "seat of the pants feeling" then get a rice burner. No matter what modificationsare doneto a Harley, it will never be a "rocket".
As I said in my earlier post, "The main reason I plan on making any changes to my '07 (after I get her good and broken in) is the heat issue."

I didn't buy a Harleyto turn it into a "rocket." But that doesn't mean you can't make mods to make up for the rediculous EPA restrictions, or just to improve over all performance. If you want to leave your bike stock, knock yourself out. I won't be surprised when the dealers are flooded with '07s coming in at the end of the summer with heat related engineproblems.

Quick Reply: exhaust vs. performance ,get facts before $$$