Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

rocker oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,950 Likes on 1,437 Posts
Default rocker oil leak

Hi guys, 2007 Ultra Classic Fire Fighter Special Edition.......when I got it at 12k miles(now 16k) it had a small oil leak from the right rear rocker bolt....would drip down on the split exhaust and leave stains......tightened the bolt and now it leaks from somewhere else........seems to be leaking onto the chrome trans cover now......
How hard it is to replace this gasket? I know the tank has to come off, I have a manual.....any things I need to watch out for?

Thanks
Murph

Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
Hi guys, 2007 Ultra Classic Fire Fighter Special Edition.......when I got it at 12k miles(now 16k) it had a small oil leak from the right rear rocker bolt....would drip down on the split exhaust and leave stains......tightened the bolt and now it leaks from somewhere else........seems to be leaking onto the chrome trans cover now......How hard it is to replace this gasket? I know the tank has to come off, I have a manual.....any things I need to watch out for?

Thanks
Murph
Not hard, do you have the service manual? If you plan on working on your bike, get the H-D manual, don't bother with Clymer or others. Sounds like the leak is the rear rocker box?? Is it the rocker box cover or the rocker box itself? If just the cover, you shouldn't have to remove the tank but if the rocker box, best to remove the tank and make the job easier. If I were you, I would spend the extra $15 or $20 and replace the head breathers with the '10 upgrade stamped units. The bolts are shorter and much easier to R/R the rear rocker box. Make sure you pay attention and put the pushrods back in the proper locations; they are different lengths. Pay attention to the orientation of the gasket; you will get a pair, so make sure you use the right one and it is oriented properly on the head. You won't be able to get a torque wrench on every fastener but it's not critical; torque those that you can't get a torque wrench on by "feel".