Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What cam to use with SE 113 Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 PM
turbotaone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam to use with SE 113 Kit ?

I'm having a SE 113 kit installed on my 06 Wide Glide. The kitwill haveSE Ported HTCC heads,10.5:1 comp.and a 50MM throttle body. SE recommends their 264 cam for maximum TQ/HP with this set-up. My mechanic says this cam is to big and that I would probably get better performance from a smaller cam(he likes the 211). What do you guys think?

Thanks
James.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
drdave
Cruiser
Default RE: What cam to use with SE 113 Kit ?

depends a lot on whether you want torque, mid range power, or high rpm power. also actual compression achieved with proper squish, etc. will have effect on cam choice - some cams don't work well unless you have a certain compression ratio. what type of exhaust are you planning on using - no use putting a high rev high hp cam on a bike with a exhaust designed for low end torque. if you are not willing to downshift and not going to rev the motor past 5000, you probably need less cam. if you're willing to downshift and like to rev the motor to max rpms, you need a bigger cam provided your exhaust is a free flowing stepped header exhaust and you have sufficient air intake system, etc.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

264 is not a bad cam for that particular build, but you can better results with a myriad of others....

211 is gonna have a different torque curve, but they are better suited for the dynamics of the HTCC heads....

You need to ask yourself.... "Self, where do I want the HP or Tq to come on at, in the bottom, to pull stumps, in the mid range to have a rapid accel when I want to pass a truck on the interstate, or at the top, when I am on the 1/4 for times???"

.640 lift or there abouts is a "Bolt-in" for the new engine cases (TC 96), no machining required.....

Take a look at the S&S 640 G..... Good all-around cam for larger motors.....

I put a set in a CVO 110, and had to re-do the valve springs, 'cause the CVO heads couldn't handle the lift, and valve float was a definite problem....

Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

Woods 400G, it should put you well above 120/120

Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the following built. HTCC Ported, HTCC pistons and264 camcombination but with a 2002 delphi UNBOREDthrottle body and SEII slip on mufflers. The bike is making 123TQ and 116 HP and is above 100 lb/ft from 1750 to 6000. 211 is WAYYYY too small a cam for the 113" THe mufflers are corking it up and the HP runs flat at 116

Old 03-07-2007, 05:52 PM
turbotaone
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try the SE 264. I'll ask my mechanic to measure the squish and make sure that it is the advertised 10.5:1 compression ratio. I'm planning on going with a Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust.

James.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
turbotaone
Intermediate

Well, after doing some more research I'm now leaning towards a Woods cam, maybe a gear driven one. What are the benefits of a gear drive cam?

Thanks
James.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the big difference between the gear driven cam and a chain driven is the fact that the chain will have to be replaced at some point, just a matter of time.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

You will not regret the Woods cams, and will make lots more TQ/HP from bottom to top than the SE's
Call Bob at Woods and discuss what your building, he's very sharp and loves to talk.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
drdave
Cruiser

a couple of thoughts - i had the same decision to make on my 113 cnc ported htcc motorthat is on a roadglide. if you go with a shorter duration / high compression / high lift cam like the woods 400g or woods 408g or even the t-man cams like the 590 or 625 - they will require 10.25 compression or higher to be really effective - those htcc heads are not just bolt on packages where you will get the proper squish for compression - your mechanic will need to make sure your compression is correct. otherwise, you will have pinging / detonation problems. those same cams will have a tendency to hold heat in your motor so you better have oil coolers (bob woods specifically told me i would have to have two additional coolers - one on each side - i don't know any other way to say it than he was saying it's going to run hot otherwise). on hot days (i live in southern oklahoma) it may be more likely to ping and that high compression/low duration intake is going to be a drag on the starter - so eventually you need a heavier starter, etc. that you may not have planned on right now. t-man said i would have no problems with his cams but they would require i know the compression is correct and they would have to be really tuned well. if you have a good tuner and ignition system, you will like those cams and the early power they provide.

a longer duration cam like the s&s 625, andrews 60, or the se 260 (chain driven) will not give you the snappy torque quite as early, but will allow those stroked motors to take deeper breaths to perform more efficiently - and stay a lot cooler too, plus reduce the chance of pinging if not tuned exactly, and not require you to look for the high octane gas on really hot days. they will be more for the mid range rpm's, but that is where you ride most of the time anyway. it will take 200-300 more rpm's to kick in. i think a cooler running motor will have more longevity. i opted for the longer duration cams because i was going to spend a lot of time going across country mainly during the summer in hot weather - not knowing what grade of gas was always available, and i don't have to have max torque numbers to talk about. it will still be a nice ride with a lot of torque because of the stroke and larger displacement and higher compression. (just may not have the maximum torque numbers on a dyno run).

if this is a lighter bike for riding around town and hot-roddin' the guys, you will like the shorter duration cams that provide earlier and higher torque at the lower rpm's. just make sure it is properly tuned and the squish is right. properly done, they are a blast, but it requires more attention to detail.

i have a fxdwg that is carbureted that i have a big stroked motor in for running around town, but i do not have the htcc heads on it - rather I have really nice professionallyported heads where the compression / squish / etc is much more easily gotten correctly by most mechanics - so i can run the shorter duration / higher compression / high lift cams without having any detonation problems and still have that arm jerking neck snapping power. that motor does run hotter than my 113 though. putting a longer duration high lift cam in that same motor will drop the early torque a little but make it also run cooler - probably start a little easier and not be so critical on hot days or poor quality gas. because it is a lighter bike and has a lot of displacement with the longer strokeand high compression (that in itself usuallyhelps early torque), i am going to put a longer duration cam in it that should actually give bigger torque and hp numbers but at a slightly higher rpm level. i don't drag or street race, so the change will not be that significant to me at the lower rpm's anyway.

Quick Reply: What cam to use with SE 113 Kit ?