Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

98 Evo Was Backfiring Now Loud Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM
LtlNicky
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Evo Was Backfiring Now Loud Noise

I have a 98 softtail Springer with about 53,000 miles.

I've been having issues with my engine backfiring when it's cold outside. I've had to choke it to keep it from backfiring. Went to a hotter plug and seemed to fix it.

Now one day I crank it and go to take off and all hell broke loose. Engine skipped and backfired so much it shut off. Cranked it again and still skipping and gave it some throttle and a constant flame was shooting from the front cylinder. When the flames stopped the front cylinder was making a loud sucking noise and a loud metal bang from the front also.

I have taken the front head off and no obvious valve damage or piston damage.

I turned the motor over with the rocker cover off and the rockers and valves move fine. Pushrods are not bent either.

If anyone has any info to help me out I more than appreciate it. I just don't know what else to do.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LtlNicky
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone was wondering, I took my bike into a shop and there are worse things that could have happened but this is what they found out.

One of the front cylinder lifters was shot. It had flat spotted the roller on the lifter and had almost a 1/4" play. The lifter also wore the lobe out on the camshaft. Two other lifters showed play in the roller on the lifter.

About three years ago I went to a bike shop a friend recommended and they decked the heads and put a different cam in it. Obviously they gave two sh#ts about the lifters or any other components. I paid the guy over $2000 to do this.

Very hard lesson learned. Hopefully I can get some more quality miles out of my EVO before I have to look into getting it remanufactured or a create engine.