Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Changing exhaust on 2013 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013 | 03:02 PM
Lowrider103
|
Stage III
Default Changing exhaust on 2013 Street Glide

I have a new Street Glide and as many of you know, the stock exhaust sucks for sound, unless you want it to sound like a Honda. I want to put on some aftermarket pipes but when I bought the bike, the HD parts guy told me when you change the exhaust and/or intake you have to get it tuned. Coming from a carbureted older bike, this was new to me. While I understand what he means due to being fuel injected and all. I'm wondering is it absolutely imperative to have it tuned or can I do the exhaust and still run the bike, and have it tuned down the road sometime? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Old 06-22-2013 | 07:48 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lowrider103
I have a new Street Glide and as many of you know, the stock exhaust sucks for sound, unless you want it to sound like a Honda. I want to put on some aftermarket pipes but when I bought the bike, the HD parts guy told me when you change the exhaust and/or intake you have to get it tuned. Coming from a carbureted older bike, this was new to me. While I understand what he means due to being fuel injected and all. I'm wondering is it absolutely imperative to have it tuned or can I do the exhaust and still run the bike, and have it tuned down the road sometime? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
In most cases, if you only add pipes you shouldn't have to retune. If you want to open up the air cleaner too ( + muffler change)...you will have to retune.

Old 06-22-2013 | 08:00 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

If you mean "pipes only" then swam them at will...

If you mean "exhaust swap" (i.e. header + pipes) then tuner is "recommended" & you can buy/install/set yourself (w/new exhaust).

Going to get tons of "self-preferences" on aftermarket options so do some research & start saving...

Old 06-22-2013 | 08:27 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Here is my bet, you change the pipes to get better sound but now you get decel pop, so now you will want a fuel tuner. I know it is a pain to spend more money after buying a brand new bike but purchasing a quality fuel tuner and added a Stage 1 ac will be worth every penny - more performance and a cooler running bike. I like my Power Vision fuel tuner, because no matter what I do to the bike, I can adjust my tune. The tune may not be as good as a dyno tune, but I don't have to take it in again and again if I change something.