Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

True Duel or De-Cat Stock Header Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013 | 02:20 PM
Justi19
|
2nd Gear
Default True Duel or De-Cat Stock Header Pipes

Hello. I've seen this question asked over and over on different forums but I've never seen a true answer. Usually the thread goes sideways and the original question is lost.

I am considering going with Rush true duals but have read of the low end torque sacrifice over 2into1. My question is, what will give me the best USEABLE performance. Aftermarket true dual exhaust headers or simply decatting the stock pipes. This is to be used with a SE high flow intake and a dyno tune. I will be using 4" Rush slip-ons with a 2.5" baffle with either option.

I know there are some really experienced folks on here and I'd appreciate your insight. This is for a 2013 Ultra Limited.

Thanks a lot!

Old 06-17-2013 | 03:44 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

JMHO but I would not de-cat the OEM head pipe; might need it for re-sale or inspection purposes down the road.

A well known local tuner that tunes for the four dealerships in my area has been going to the Fullsac or V&H Power Duals head pipe (X-type). He prefers the V&H Monster Oval slipons but will run whatever slipon the customer wants.

You could probably do just as well and save some money with the Fullsac headpipe and Fullsar "recored" baffles for the OEM slipons.

http://www.fullsac.com/x-pipe.html

http://www.fullsac.com/recorekit.html

I am currently running a set of RH TDs on my '02 107" motor; no noticeable loss of torque and great sound. However, I am looking at the Fullsac DX pipe to convert to the newer system that runs the crossover under the bike. Move some heat away and make removing the outer primary easier.

Old 06-17-2013 | 03:57 PM
Justi19
|
2nd Gear

I understand the re-sale risks and my state only requires the baffles be present to pass inspection. I'm really just wondering about the raw performance comparison between true duels and de-catted stock header pipes. Thanks for the recommendations though and I'll check them out as well.

Old 06-17-2013 | 04:16 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Justi19
I understand the re-sale risks and my state only requires the baffles be present to pass inspection. I'm really just wondering about the raw performance comparison between true duels and de-catted stock header pipes. Thanks for the recommendations though and I'll check them out as well.
State laws change all the time. As to you question about performance, on a $$/HP basis, there are better places to spend the money. A pipe change will have more to do with moving the torque curve to the left or right, or introducing a torque dip but more often that not, peak numbers won't change. Having said that, the slipons will impact performance more than the difference in the two head pipes.