Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Super E leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super E leaking fuel

Hey guys, has anyone ever experienced a Super E leaking from the bottom of the accelerator pump? The bike has been running well, and then began to stumble on acceleration. I noticed the accelerator pump wasn't throwing fuel into the carb, so I took the pump apart to inspect. Turns out the plunger slipped out at the top and wasn't depressing the diaphragm. Wish I would have thought to look at that before I removed the pump! Anyway, I've got it all back together and now it leaks.

I've reassembled it twice, screws are definitely tight and it still leaks. Any advise you can give will be much appreciated. Thanks for your help...

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM
n2ofaster
Advanced

check the float level

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

....also the float needle, which closes off the float level. It would probably be wise to get a refurb kit, which should have all new perishable parts in it and give your carb a fresh lease on life.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Float level appears to be fine, and needle and seat are clean and operate freely. The carb was functioning perfectly until the pump rod sliped off the accelerator adjustment spring and caused the accelerator pump to stop working. Had I noticed that in the beginning, I could have repaired it without disassembling the pump and it wouldn't be leaking now. I've already ordered an accelerator rebuild kit, although I'm not sure if that's going to help, all the current components, seem fine. I really can't wrap my head around what's causing it to leak. I was hoping someone on this forum might have run across this situation before.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 AM
n2ofaster
Advanced

when the bike is cold grab hold of the accelerator pump rod and see if it has any up and down play. It should have a little free play. If there is no free play readjust the pump setting. when the pump rod is to long or set incorrectly it will vibrate with the motor running and keep a constant stream of fuel going to the carb. it is barely noticeable but can be a problem. just thinking out loud. dsv

Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed-N-Senseless
Float level appears to be fine, and needle and seat are clean and operate freely. The carb was functioning perfectly until the pump rod sliped off the accelerator adjustment spring and caused the accelerator pump to stop working. Had I noticed that in the beginning, I could have repaired it without disassembling the pump and it wouldn't be leaking now. I've already ordered an accelerator rebuild kit, although I'm not sure if that's going to help, all the current components, seem fine. I really can't wrap my head around what's causing it to leak. I was hoping someone on this forum might have run across this situation before.
The rebuild kit should fix your problems. Something isn't seating or sealing...probably an o-ring or diaphragm. New ones are supplied with the rebuild kit.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by nhrider1
The rebuild kit should fix your problems. Something isn't seating or sealing...probably an o-ring or diaphragm. New ones are supplied with the rebuild kit.
Rider1, you were right, I rebuilt the pump yesturday and the leaking stopped. The old O-rings looked to be in perfect condition, no cuts or deformed in any way, usually I can see where the seals are failing. Now I'm off to finish the jetting...