Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

SE HTCC Ported heads opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SE HTCC Ported heads opinions?

How do these heads compare to the various internet offerings? I am referring specifically to the Ported HTCC SE head 2.0 intake 1.6 exhaust as opposed to the regular SE Pro heads.

Build will be either a 103 or a 107 with cams something along the lines of an Andrews 59G gear drive.

I like the idea of the SE in that I don't have to ship my heads anywhere and it will minimize the downtime during the build.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:49 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SE HTCC Ported heads opinions?

Bill,

Setting the quench is VERY difficult on the HTCC heads & there are not too many folks that take the time (or know how)to install them RIGHT! Personally, I would not even consider them - but that's just me.

If I "had to" settle for S/E heads I'd probably look at the S/E Perf heads. However, they have pretty small chambers and used with a 103 / 107 the compression will be pretty high - but cmpression makes power. Be sure to get compression releases and carefully select a cam that's gonna perform well at your resultant CR. I'd also consider sending the new S/E heads out to a professional port shop and have the chamberscc'd and cut to match AND have them remove the powder coating from the intake ports. I just don't like the idea of that crap flaking off and entering my cylinders. I seen it many time... May not be a huge issue, but it just aint right!

Based on you questions about the S/E stuff, money is obviously not an issue and if time is, then "buy" a set of GREAT heads from someone like Head-Quarters or GMR and them simply return yours for credit. Just like a water pump or starter on your car....

Again, this is just my opinion... you are the one that needs to be happy in the end!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

Phil...a duh moment.....I didn't know that GMR or HQ would do heads on an other than exchange basis.....it didn't occur to me that they might have cores available to use.

I have been trying to call HQ for two days.....Doug is never available. He might be great but if you can't talk to him then it doesn't do me much good.

Money is always an issue.....just ask my wife. [&:] A few hundred bucks here or there won't break me though on a build like this. I guess I am just playing catch up trying to gather all my facts.

Local HD dealer will do a 103 kit, SE HTCC heads, Andrews 59G gear drives and a SERT mixed in for 4k installed and tuned. That is a lot of money but they warranty it and they have an outstanding tech there that does the engine builds who has a great reputation in the area.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

They also did this same exact build for a local guy here and while I have not talked to him directly they did show me the tune sheets from his tune session. The build I listed above put down 108hp and 107 tq.

Not bad I don't think.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

If you're comfortable with them and they'll warranty it the go for it!

108/107 would make for a fun to ride bike.

Like I said earlier, YOU are the one that needsto be satisfied....

Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

I was finally able to get a hold of Doug today....very pleasant conversation and I really like his attitude towards builds. I think his stuff is where I am going....I tried calling him back all afternoon to order the parts and couldn't get him again. (argh) I will keep trying in the morning though.

Phil....I appreciate all your help and advice more than you know. It's all confusing at first but it's starting to come together.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Good deal! I know getting ahold of him can be challenging, espically now while they are trying to get everyones work done in time for spring.

I'm sure you'll find it was worth the wait.