Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Dan Motto Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 PM
ericguizzetti
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dan Motto Exhaust advice

I purchased a Dan Motto highwayman exhaust for my nightster. I have two questions for the helpful HD enthusiasts.

1. Should single wall exhaust with no heat shields be rapped? The amount of heat coming off these pipes is ridiculous.

2. I installed metal threaded plugs into the 02 sensor locations. Do threaded exhaust connections require any type of high temp caulking compound? I cranked the plugs down tight and feel like exhaust is still leaking out!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

On #2 I can tell you that on my last 2 bikes I've used a power commander V and so I took off the sensors and put in bung plugs I got from J&P. No type of threadlock used and neither have ever even come close to being loose.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 AM
ericguizzetti
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmustang4
On #2 I can tell you that on my last 2 bikes I've used a power commander V and so I took off the sensors and put in bung plugs I got from J&P. No type of threadlock used and neither have ever even come close to being loose.
Thanks! I have to say I pretty much hate these Highwaymen pipes. I am actually thinking about adding a crossover pipe

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=748064_0_0_

Hoping to bring down the dbs a little and move the end of the exhaust from below my ear line

Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ericguizzetti
I purchased a Dan Motto highwayman exhaust for my nightster. I have two questions for the helpful HD enthusiasts.

1. Should single wall exhaust with no heat shields be rapped? The amount of heat coming off these pipes is ridiculous.

2. I installed metal threaded plugs into the 02 sensor locations. Do threaded exhaust connections require any type of high temp caulking compound? I cranked the plugs down tight and feel like exhaust is still leaking out!

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you do not have heat shields, I would wrap for sure. I heard of someones' pants catching on fire before!

The O2 sensors' threads should have a little Anti-seize lubricant put on them prior to install - don't get the lube on the sensor, just the threaded part.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 06-09-2013 at 11:44 AM.