Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

short pipes vs. long pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 AM
jamesf0622
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default short pipes vs. long pipes

I apologize if this has been asked a few thousand times before, but the search wasn't much help. I want to get new pipes for my '07 Night Train. Preferably Black. I like the way short pipes look, but I was told that they would make my bike run like crap and that longer pipes are better. Since I'm a cherry at all of this I figured I'd come on here and get some advice. I like the way Vance and Hines Big radius looks if that's a help. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: short pipes vs. long pipes

The shorter the pipe, the less back pressure you have which affects your low and mid range power. The big radius are not that short IMO. I say if that is what you wnat get those with a big sucker a/f kit and a pcIII and you are good to go. By the way, I learned all of this here...

Old 02-21-2007, 12:14 AM
jamesf0622
Road Master

OK. Once again I apologize. I'm a noob. I've had my bike all of 3 days, so I'm not down with all the lingo yet. What is a big sucker a/f kit and PCIII?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 AM
burgies08ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the big radius on my 95" efi with stage II, k & n, etc, and i really love the looks and
i dont have any torque issues with it..i do use the dfo fuel management , which is a cheap way to go ...db

Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 AM
jamesf0622
Road Master

Holy crap my head is swimming. Can someone put me in the right direction so I can edumacate myelf on what the different stages are and what all the acronyms stand for? I'm clueless.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 AM
sedazed
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James,

I'm going through the same thing right now but have had an opportunity to read up and start purchasing. If you want to get new exhaust pipes, you will need a new fuel management system like the PCIII (Which is the dynojet powercommander III) or Vance and Hines Fuelpak (only for Vance and Hines pipes) or the SE Race tuner (Screaming Eagle race tuner from Harley). My suggestion is to go with the dynojet powercommander but it will void your Harley's 2 year warranty. The reason you need a new fuel management system is because the engine is basically set up to run a specific fuel to air mixture (which is not a correct mixture for aftermarket pipes) which is controlled by the O2 sensors.

The acrynom a/f is for air filter. You will also need a new air filter kit like the Screaming eagle heavy breather, or the Arlen Ness Big Sucker. The stage just refers to level of air intake I think. You need that to provide more air for the new exhaust.

Getting aftermarket pipes on the 07 Harleys is an expensive prospect. The powercommander (PCIII) is about $290.00, the Air Breather/Filter kit like the arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 2 is like $99.00 plus the price of your pipes. All are pretty easy to install yourself. Keep in mind, the PCIII includes O2 sensor eliminators, so you would need pipes without the 02 ports.

Shorter pipes are typically louder and pop as you slow down and get a little less torque. The Big Radius by Vance and Hines is a good all around pipe. Before you get the pipes though, I would decide on the fuel management system. Call someone like fuel moto (www.fuelmotousa.com) to ask what year of pipes you should get if you get 02 eliminators.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 PM
jamesf0622
Road Master

Thanks. I'm also interested in the Vance & Hines 2 into 1 pipe. That looks pretty good. I'm not interested in voiding my warranty. I might just have to make a trip down to the local Harley shop and ask a bunch of questions there. It will be awhile before I do this anyway due to funding, but I like to learn as much as possible before I buy stuff.