Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Change cam plate or not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
micalaut
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Change cam plate or not???

I am in the middle of a 95" big bore upgrade to my stock 06 Ultra and upgrading to Andrews 26 cams. I took the cam chest out of the bike as I also wanted to replace original chain tensioners. When I unloaded the inner chain and put the pin in to hold it, the rear cam was extremely loose from the rear bearing to the point that no pressing would be required to remove that cam. The inner race of the bearing is still on the cam. I then was curious so I found a socket to match the diameter of the front cam(after removing ret. clip) and tapped , I emphasize "tapped " the front cam from its bearing. Now being more curious, I did the same with each cam bearing. Do I have an issue with my cam plate to where I need to replace? I then took the old bearings and attempted to put them back in the plate, they did not fall in but I don't think it would take much effort. I know the question is how do you define "tapped" ?? My tap would not have driven a 6 finish nail into a piece of pine, if that helps. Any help from the experienced???

Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about your tap being light or not but the rear cam virtually falling out of the plate is a right thing. (I hate hearing "thats normal") The bearing race on the cam should be a press fit. That is a ball bearing bearing where the front cam is a roller bearing.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM
micalaut
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the reply, the inner race is on the cam pretty firm and I have not attempted to remove it, can I buy a new inner race from HD? Will that fit an Andrews? The bearings are all smooth and the front cam journals are smooth and clean, the rear cam journal where it fits the inner bearing shows some wear. I am replacing the inners also, Do you think I have any issues with this cam plate or is most of this "a good thing" ?