Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Too Much Heat!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 AM
olsurferdude
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much Heat!

Y'all forgive for posting this again, the firt time was in the new member section. DOOOOH! Awhile back I walked into the garage and heard my "02" FLSTSI loading up every few seconds. (tick,tick,tick-tick,tick,tick) I assumed it was the fuel system bleeding down so I ran up to my local dealer to fix. They informed me my ECM was shot and I need a new one. When I got the bike back it ran hot as hell. There excuse was my bike had been altered and wasn't stock. (a hypercharger and true dual drag pipes with restriction cones.) I told him that's the way I bought it and never had a problem. Why he didn't pull the map from the old one I have no idea. SO, I buy the tuner kit from them and have them dyno it but still the same problem. Then I take it to a local shop and they dyno it again and tweek the fuel for me. All that did was create a stall at low rpm high torgue sitautions. (sharp curve) I just got rid of the junk pipes and installed some Vance Hines true duals. Went around the block and the rear header is cooked! My wife rides a "03" Dyna with no problems at all but her bike is carbed so what the heck is everyone missing! My next step is taking it to the king of tuners here in this state but I just don't have the twelve hundred to shell out for a tune. (He won't use Harley crap tuners.) Any help will surely be appreciated.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
danoflhrci
Intermediate

Bummer you bought the new ECM. Would have been a good time to install a ThunderMax, or similar. There's a lot of products out there to add fuel but most of my (limited) successful experience has been with the Tmax. There's a learning curve to get past but once there, you can put a decent tune on yourself. You can get by with the basic module or add the auto tune (have to install o2 sensors on your bike) but I don't think anything is really auto tune. Just automatically shoots for the AFR's you programmed. Then there's timing (you would lose the anti detonation feature with HD's ECM). Something to kick around.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
olsurferdude
5th Gear

Originally Posted by danoflhrci
Bummer you bought the new ECM. Would have been a good time to install a ThunderMax, or similar. There's a lot of products out there to add fuel but most of my (limited) successful experience has been with the Tmax. There's a learning curve to get past but once there, you can put a decent tune on yourself. You can get by with the basic module or add the auto tune (have to install o2 sensors on your bike) but I don't think anything is really auto tune. Just automatically shoots for the AFR's you programmed. Then there's timing (you would lose the anti detonation feature with HD's ECM). Something to kick around.
Thanks! I might try that instead of the tune.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours is the first I have heard of the ECM going bad. I am sure they do but not often. What did they do with the old ECM? I like the Power Vision as you can get real time display while riding and not have to run then check with a computer you see what is going on at that that moment in real time and can use your stock ECM. When I do get a tuner that is on top of the list. There is a thread on the power tuner that is well over 100 pages here.

A couple of questions how many miles on the bike. Did you check your intake and throttle body to intake manifold seals?

I am not sure why any one runs true duals or a pipe that is not connected to each other. There is a reason they are connected. Straight pipes are not a good choice on a street bike and in my opinion neither are true duals.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
danoflhrci
Intermediate

I had one go bad. It was throwing codes for front/rear coil. 12v going into the coil but nothing coming out so I bought into it & replaced the coil. Same codes so I did the diagnostics on the coils. They were fine. By then it was throwing codes like crazy, 13 in all. Did a lot of diagnostics but couldn't keep up with that fight any longer; hence, my experience with the ThunderMax.
I would definately want that old ECM for a second look though if I were you. As stated above, it is very rare for em to fail.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
danoflhrci
Intermediate

I had one go bad. It was throwing codes for front/rear coil. 12v going into the coil but nothing coming out so I bought into it & replaced the coil. Same codes so I did the diagnostics on the coils. They were fine. By then it was throwing codes like crazy, 13 in all. Did a lot of diagnostics but couldn't keep up with that fight any longer; hence, my experience with the ThunderMax.
I would definately want that old ECM for a second look though if I were you. As stated above, it is very rare for em to fail.
Don't know if it's relevant or not but I thought I should add; I had a V&H fuelpack piggybacking my ECM about a month before it went out.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
olsurferdude
5th Gear

Don't know if it's relevant or not but I thought I should add; I had a V&H fuelpack piggybacking my ECM about a month before it went out.
Same here, I had a DFO mounted after the ECM. The dealer said the DFO took out the ECM. I fired off a nastygram to the DFO people and they said the dealer was full of crap. There system is down stream and in no way could take out the ECM. At the time I assumed the dealer was straight up but got to thinking they gave me back the DFO in a bag but I never got the ECM. I've delt with them for years with great service but when they went from a great local shop to a megacenter their service went to crap. My last scoot was a "56" pan and didn't have all this ECM stuff on it. It's a real B-tch not being able to work on your own sh-t. I'm thinking it's the intake seals but I don't understand why he would have messed with the intake. I hate to be negative but I'm thinking the bike had a fuel system bleed down that kept making it load up. I'm thinking that's what he fixed and charged me for a ECM. When he put it back together he screwed up the intake gaskets. Anyone agree with me?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
danoflhrci
Intermediate

An intake leak is easy to check & would be one of my 1st looks. I'd also consider what 46u said about pipes. Another good thing about the TMax (if you have the closed loop) it will try to compensate for air leaks & shoot more fuel at it to maintain the target AFR. If you plug in your laptop you can see where these compensations are being made. I'm sure you know plugs sometimes have a story to tell. Be advised, I'm not trying to push TMax. It's an investment and they aren't cheap, & like all other investments, every option should be looked at.