Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Carb Jetting Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 AM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Carb Jetting Question...

I'm thinking this would go into this forum.. Oh, by the way.. I like the breakup..

But now I have 5 more boards to read!! [:@]

Ok, here it goes.. I have a '94 EVO.. I bought her used.. Was told that the Stage 1 was added. (K&N filter) and V&H pipes.. Problem is that the bike tends to cough every once in a while.. The old owner claimed to have had the carb jetted.. I am wondering if he actually did... Is there an easy way for me to figure this out?? I have had the filter off, and can see the jets.. Will I have to take it apart to find out?? Please let me know! I'm wondering here!! []

-NFE

Old 08-16-2005, 01:05 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Carb Jetting Question...

In order to see the jets, you have to drop the float bowl, the jets in that motor stock would be in the area of 42 in the low and 160-170 in the high. If you have a shop manual for the bike , the stock jets will be listed on the first page of the carb section. If you get this cough while you are riding and advancing the throttle a bit, I would suggest shimming up the needle with 2 -#4 washers to raise it up a bit. You have to remove the cap on top of the carb to do this.

Take a look in this forum https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_269/tt.htm at the top few posts for some info. Your evo would use the same principals as these posts for the twin cam , only different size jetting.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

99% of the problems that are encountered are due to improper piolt jet selection. You did not mention type of carb. I will give you CV stuff. Pilot 45 fuel screw 1.5-2.0 out from lightly seating. I would not shim the needle as the needle is not your problem you are not entering the jet needle section of carb until 1/4 to 3/4. ANd you can cruise at 70 mph and just barley get into the jet needle. The pilot adds fuel through out the entire fuel process. For a main with a stock emulsion tube??? I would start 180. These are base line settings, as you did not give enough info about the bike.

But from your post you have not worked on the carbs before. TO do it correctly you must first own a manual. Then you will understand the entire process how it fuels, what jet is where and so on. Jetting a carb is not hard but you really need to have some help if you have not done it. The help I am speaking of is the good ole HD bible.

P.S. the jet kits for HD do not contain pilot jets you have to buy them seprate.

TCSTD would you like a hot to on doing carb kits with pictures?? along with a few tips and tricks??

Old 08-16-2005, 05:04 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

>>>TCSTD would you like a hot to on doing carb kits with pictures?? along with a few tips and tricks??

Sure thing, always looking to learn new or better ways, take a look in the DIY section so you don't spend time duplicating anything allready there

Thanks.