Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Sportster Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013 | 06:38 PM
Beerown
|
1st Gear
Default Sportster Clicking Noise

I looked around for answers on this but couldn't find it.

I have a 2001 Sportster 1200XLH S that I bought a few weeks ago with 34k on it.

It needed a little work, including carburetor and battery, and I put new brakes, oil, tires on it.

My question is in regards to the clicking noise that I have coming from my engine when I ride. It is there about 80% of the time, and sounds like when you put a card in your bike spokes when you were a kid. It corresponds to RPM.

Bike runs great, but I don't want to break something by ignoring this sound. Is it inherent to the 2001 Sportsters?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-02-2013 | 08:22 AM
46u
Road Warrior

This is something hard to figure out with out riding it. Does it do it at ideal or just going down the road?

Old 02-03-2013 | 01:07 AM
Beerown
|
1st Gear

No, it does not make the noise at idle. I'm a new rider, this is my first bike. It makes the noise when accelerating and any time I'm on the throttle. If I've got the clutch in it stops. My optimistic hope is that the sound is the valves doing their job. My worry is that it is something bad, but I don't know what it would be.

I've checked to make sure it is not the tank cap, and I'm certain it comes from the engine area, but it's hard to tell exactly where since I'm moving when it makes the noise.

Also, I have a secondary question: I ride the bike every day, and every other night or so the overflow hose leaks a little bit of fuel. Not much, but enough that I can see that it leaked in the morning. From what I know, I'm assuming this means my float needle probably has some issue. Would you say that on a 2001 Sportster this is nothing to worry about? Or should I disassemble and clean the carb? I don't have a lot of money to take it to a shop right now, but I'm also afraid of messing with the carb since I've never done it before. I'm pretty sure I could clean it, but afraid I will make it worse since it would be my first time. Any advice here?

Thank you for your help.