Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Went to far.....exhaust sound too raw!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 03:27 PM
mayday
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to far.....exhaust sound too raw!!

I have an 05 RK Cust (FLHRSI) with SE slip on's. The sounds was alot better than stock, but I wanted just a bit more. I removed the baffles, and installed a set of Thunder-Monsters just at the end of the header pipe as instructed. I love it at idle, but its a bit "raw" at acceleration.....and it "pops" to much on de-acceleration. So I want to get some where inbetween there. So I'm thinking I could just stick the SE baffles back in (easy job) and see how it sounds....but seems that would take me back to where I was at....dont imagine that the "monsters' would change the sound entering the baffle....would they? So then I'm thinking that I could open up the baffles a bit.....but how?.....should I just drill some holes on the end closest to the header pipe.....or perhaps cut the baffle in half and re-install with the bolts at the end cap? Or would some suggest another approach? I heard that the SE II baffles are true flow thru...where as the one's I have seem to have a "bend" on the end closest to the header pipe....anyway to open that up?

Lots of ideas are flowing thru the ol' brain......so I need some experience to talk back to me.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Mayday!

Old 08-13-2005, 10:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts
Default RE: Went to far.....exhaust sound too raw!!

I'd try cutting the old baffle in half and see what it sounds like. If it is still too "easy", then you could trim it again. Leave out the Thunder job if you replace the baffles.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Funny but I was having the same problem, I have a 05 sport with SE II slip-ons. Today just a few hours ago I removed the baffles and tried the sound with no baffles at all and to me it sounded like a Honda with open pipes ( wanna be Harley ) So I cut the baffles off at the last hole right before the bend and that made the difference to me. Sounds good at idle and cracks nice when getting on it. If you do the same with your slip-ons please reply here with what you think, I'm interested in how other people think of the sound and power. I didn't seem to lose any power.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear from you on this!!

OH Yea.... once you cut them you can't go back!!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:41 AM
mayday
Cruiser

Thanks Naz_Man....I'm really leaning towards cutting my baffle down. Mine is a bit larger than yours since mine in on the RK. But I would imagine I could get the same effect. What did you use to cut yours down?? I'm thinking of using my "chop" saw with a metal blade.

Still wanting to hear back from some others on any experience...either with cutting down the RK SE baffle or any specific experience with the Thundermonster and using some method to tone is down just a little.

Kinda taking that old approach of "measure twice" and "cut once" attitude before I start making any real cuts on the baffle.

Thanks for your input!!

Mayday

Old 08-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I used a saw saw with a metal blade.... hole job took 1/2 hour

Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 149 Likes on 42 Posts

If ya don't mind me asking, what is a saw saw

Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope sure don't

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-10-amp...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-27-2005, 05:58 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

My SEII's were getting surface rust so I got a set of Santee Jim Nasi PJ 2-1/4" drag pipes, which don't have any baffles or factory holes to mount any baffles. I did install a set of power cones and now I have tremendous low end power but it falls off at midrange and above... Several folks have told me to remove the power cones and either install a 1/4" bolt, a lolli pop or some universal baffles and would like to get you guys opinion. I like the drag pipes, but they are a little bit too loud and raw sounding so I was leaning towards the baffles and found the below:

Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Fatboy2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TCSTD,
I think Naz_Man is talking about a sawzall (Milwaukee's reciprocating saw). Nice tool.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 PM
big100hd
Intermediate

I put SE slipons on my 03 RKC. They get much better over time. I didn't think I would like them either at first, aftrer a few thousand miles they break in nicely. Now with 40,000 miles I get people asking what kind of pipes I have.....If you have the patients to wait they will break in nicely.