Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

95" HQ Heads, HQ-0039 cams, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 95" HQ Heads, HQ-0039 cams, etc.

Here is the dyno sheet for my buddy's '06 Classic after he purchased and installed Head-Quarters re-worked stock heads, cylinders, Weisco 10.5-1 pistons, HQ-0039 cams, etc.He initially tuned the bike running controlled runs and refined his map using the info accumulated on the SERT's data collection feature. He then took the bike to a reputable bike shop for about 5 hours of dyno tuning.

NOTE: (1)These runs were done with stock dresser header pipes and V&H slip on mufflers; (2)the clutch slipped due to the high power; and, (3) the stock throttle body untouched.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...man/KBDyno.jpg

The red line is his "in the door" number in a 3rd gear run. The blue line is a 3rd gear run after much tuning--he picked up 10 in hp and 8 in torque with the time on the dyno; his own tuning was over 100/100 without the dyno.

HP: 111.66
Torque: 113.96

Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 95" HQ Heads, HQ-0039 cams, etc.

That combo is a hot-setup for sure. PhilM has a similar build in his bike, and the charts are about the same.

If I was to do it over again and go back 5 months and start over on my build..............that is the build I would go with for sure.

Steve

Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more and more posts I keep reading on these HQ-0039G's is getting more and more pumped up. I have minesiting ina Box with someother goodies ready to install. I wish it would warm up here in Iowa. I don't have a heated garage and it's been freakin cold here. I'm talkin high of 12 today. I heard maybe in the 20's this weekend.
If I can get 105-110 TQ & HP out of the HQ-0039G's with no pingingI'll be very happy. Heck all settle for 100/100 with no pinging. I'm at 98HP & 104TQ with all kinds of pinging right now with S&S 510G's.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

After looking over my buddy's shoulder while he disassembled the bike; put it back together with the Head-Quarters package; tuned the bike using the SERT and his home computer (with controlled runs and collecting data); and then dynoed the bike, these are the lessons I, as a motorcycle novice, learned:

1. When doing more than a stage 1 or similar light engine mod; pick the right mutually complimentary and coordinated package of pieces (heads, cams, pistons, valve train, etc.), and that, no offense to the week-end motorheads on this or any forum, usually means going to people whodo this sort of thing for aliving. In the case of my friend, his source wasDoug Coffey, HQ's owner,who hooked him up big time with a great package.

2. I don't have to go to a dyno and hand my SERT equipped bike to a mechanic to tune the bike close to its max performance; the SERT is a learnable and fantastic tuning device.

3. Dressers with dual exhausts (or even the factory pipes like my friend)can still makeBIG hp and torque; of course, that means leaving another 10 hp and torque on the 2 into 1 table.

4. Put high on my list of things I would like to do in life, the building of apowerful engine for my '04 EG.

I will start saving now for my HQ build and if I am half as happy as my friend, it will be worth every $.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The red line is his "in the door" number in a 3rd gear run. The blue line is a 3rd gear run after much tuning-
Aren't dyno runs usually done in 4th gear? Seems to me if you do a dyno pull in 1st thru 3rd gear, you'll be multiplying the actual torque- hp ouput. Maybe I'm wrong here..................

Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman
I will start saving now for my HQ build and if I am half as happy as my friend, it will be worth every $.
What kind of money did he spend on this package?

Steve

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

MUC: My friend shipped his heads and cylinders to HQ. Two weeks later they came back accompanied by the HQ-0039 cams and Weisco pistons.
He paid about $2100.

Incidentally, I should amend the original post to also mention that the bike has its original, untouched throttle body.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What I learned was that if he didn't get that dyno tune, he would have had a hole in that piston pretty fast. 16:1 AFR at WOT is pretty damn lean.
That's at max fuel dumping, I'd venture a guess that it was even leaner at partial throttle.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 AM
pirateeye
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Neckball

The red line is his "in the door" number in a 3rd gear run. The blue line is a 3rd gear run after much tuning-
Aren't dyno runs usually done in 4th gear? Seems to me if you do a dyno pull in 1st thru 3rd gear, you'll be multiplying the actual torque- hp ouput. Maybe I'm wrong here..................
It doesn't really matter from my experience. When you set up for your dyno run, one of the variables enetered into the software is what gear the run will be done in. This is actually one of the ways someone can fudge their results...run it in third gear but enter 4th into the dyno software and your run will be significantly higher.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
pirateeye
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

What I learned was that if he didn't get that dyno tune, he would have had a hole in that piston pretty fast. 16:1 AFR at WOT is pretty damn lean.
That's at max fuel dumping, I'd venture a guess that it was even leaner at partial throttle.
I'll second that! Fortunately it only occured at WOT...all other A/F readings at less load/kpa and RPM were between 13.5 and 14.1. What I found was that the intake velocity and VE of these heads was considerably higher than the SERT would allow adjustment for...I was maxed out in the VE table and A/F table in that RPM at WOT when we started. I was able to change the pulse width of the injector to "trick" the sert into allowing me to add more VE and richen A/F. If you look at the chart, you'll see that it was above 14.0:1 only between 2600-3400 rpm...only there for a split second but still, could've caused some damage if left and run at WOT regularly. I've still got a bit more tuning to do but I'm happy for now.

Quick Reply: 95" HQ Heads, HQ-0039 cams, etc.