Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Vance & Hines...to do or not to do???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 AM
azray7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines...to do or not to do???

Howdy,

I am really close to pulling the trigger and upgrading my bike's exhaust. Here is what I am thinking of doing...

Vance & Hines Chrome Dresser Duals
Vance & Hines Chrome Monster Ovals w/Chrome Tips
Power Commander V

I have a K&N high flow air filter and I believe stock screaming eagle slip-ons.

I'm a bit new to this and really could use some good advice from the experts...

Have a great day and hopefully you live somewhere where you can get out and do some riding today!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty solid package ,

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

The screamin eagle slip ons are a good slip one but the head pipes are what are restricting your exhaust flow now. By putting a full pipe system on and that fuelpak it will give you a decent performance advance if it is tuned right

Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
azray7
Advanced

I went out today and "polled" some performance guys... The result, both of them suggested I pay the premium and skip the fuel management system aftermarket devices. They said to do it right, go with a screaming eagle and let Harley do a full dyno. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Scott Limited
6th Gear

I just installed the Jackpot Headers 2-1-2 on my 2010 Ultra Limited and reprogrammed the V&H Fuelpak (contacted V&H tech by email for correct map program). I already had the V&H Air Filter, V&H Turn Down mufflers and using the V&H Fuelpak for management. The bike is running better then ever, definitely more torque and hopefully have solved the heat issue from the exhaust being so restricted from the catalytic converter. Cams are next, hopefully by spring!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azray7
I went out today and "polled" some performance guys... The result, both of them suggested I pay the premium and skip the fuel management system aftermarket devices. They said to do it right, go with a screaming eagle and let Harley do a full dyno. Has anyone had any experience with that?
Nothing wrong with the pcv, imo, I'd rather dyno a bike with a pcv than a sert, the maps usually come out better with the pcv,

Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM
azray7
Advanced
Question

Ok, I must submit to my ignorance, what does "PVC" and "SERT" stand for?

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM
103megawatt
Cruiser

PCV - power commander version 5. It is a dynojet fuel management product.

SERT - screaming eagle race tuner. It is the Harley fuel management product

Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather dyno a bike with a pcv than a sert, the maps usually come out better with the pcv,
That statement doesn't make any sense at all. How did you comeup with that conclusion?

Any quality full tuner has the capability to get you to the same tune. The custom map is developed by the dyno operator, not the tuner itself.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a couple comments here based on my time dyno tuning, first off, the stock head pipe configuration on an 05 bagger is VERY capable of producing both great peak numbers and a great torque curve when coupled with a good set of slip on's.
Secondly, while the PC type tuner is capable it is in no way on the same level as an ecm programmer type tuner like the PV, SEST, etc to properly dial in a bike and all running conditions.
As for the orignal question, the true dual setup you are considering is of quality construction, expect to lose a bit of low end torque compared to the stock headpipe configuration when coupled to the same mufflers.
The cross under type systems like mentioned here work extremely well, the V&H power duals are a great pipe but any of these would require an oil pan change and a couple of holes tapped to work on your 05, worth it in my opinion if you are after both the dual look and max performance.

Last edited by BVBOB; 01-20-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines...to do or not to do???