Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Kent moore en-46745 piston pin clip replacer tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kent moore en-46745 piston pin clip replacer tool

I bought one of these circlip tools off ebay trying to save a few $. It is almost like the HD tool but has a different diameter tip. The Wiseco pistons I'll be using have wrist pin ID of 0.620 and the OD of the largest tip that came with the tool is 0.570 or so. Has anyone successfully used this GM tool with the largest tip even though it's smaller than the HD wrist pin ID? I can't seem to get the tool to grab the clip and wonder if I need a larger tip. I've read and watched the videos on removing w/screwdriver and putting them in by hand or using a 3/4" copper union and 5/8 socket, but I'm trying to make the tool made for the job work. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Sorry. Been using the screwdriver method for many many years. Hope someone gives you a hand.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

We have 2 cabinets full of specialty tools we've not only purchased, but manufactured as well.
We pop those right in with a small screwdriver as well.
Have not used anything easier/quicker yet.
Scott

Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have 2 cabinets full of specialty tools we've not only purchased, but manufactured as well.
We pop those right in with a small screwdriver as well.
Have not used anything easier/quicker yet.
Scott

Have you used Kuryakyn (CP?) piston with the thicker diameter retaining circlip. I admit that I couldn't get them in without the tool. The smaller wire diameter are no problem. Could use some hints on installing the clips with the larger diameter wire.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

We've been doing this on almost a daily basis for 30 years here.
We use a small modified screwdriver, of which we have 3.
Scott

Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shawrco
I bought one of these circlip tools off ebay trying to save a few $. It is almost like the HD tool but has a different diameter tip. The Wiseco pistons I'll be using have wrist pin ID of 0.620 and the OD of the largest tip that came with the tool is 0.570 or so. Has anyone successfully used this GM tool with the largest tip even though it's smaller than the HD wrist pin ID? I can't seem to get the tool to grab the clip and wonder if I need a larger tip. I've read and watched the videos on removing w/screwdriver and putting them in by hand or using a 3/4" copper union and 5/8 socket, but I'm trying to make the tool made for the job work. Thanks.
Sorry, It's me again - Can someone who has the HD tool measure and tell me the OD of the tip of the tool (portion that inserts into the wrist pin). I can get a tip made for my tool. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

Shawrco

The guide tip on mine is .543". If the tip is not removable: You can drive out the spring pin and remove the plastic handle and chuck it in a lathe and turn it down. The tool I have is not supposed to fit forged pistons. I had to elongate the relief that the hook fits into on the piston with my dremel. Worked like a charm. Could you post me a link to the tool.

Last edited by ajayrk; 01-22-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ajayrk
Shawrco

The guide tip on mine is .543". If the tip is not removable: You can drive out the spring pin and remove the plastic handle and chuck it in a lathe and turn it down. The tool I have is not supposed to fit forged pistons. I had to elongate the relief that the hook fits into on the piston with my dremel. Worked like a charm. Could you post me a link to the tool.
Here is a link to the usage instructions for the HD tool:
http://www.spxtools-shop.com/Harley/PDF/HD-42317-A.pdf
I couldn't tell for sure from the photo but suspected the pilot tip on the HD tool was not removeable. A member on Harley Tech Talk forum posted that the pilot on his HD tool is 0.560. The Kent-Moore GM version comes w/two different diameter pilots and there is a third available for the LNF 2.0L ECOTEC engines, but I don't know if it's larger or smaller than the pilots I have. My largest pilot is about .543 also, so you must have the GM tool as well. I didn't know the tool wasn't necessarily meant for forged pistons, but what you describe is the trouble I've had trying to use the tool so far (besides the pilot is much smaller than the ID of the wrist pin) - the hook jaw won't engage the clip from inside the relief in the piston. Take a look at the instructions link.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

This is the tool that I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Slinger-Airflo.../dp/B000GUWOWG

Use a dremel with a carbid burr and elongate the dimple relief.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
We've been doing this on almost a daily basis for 30 years here.
We use a small modified screwdriver, of which we have 3.
Scott
Got any pics. I dug the one I use out.