Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with 81 Iron head carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM
NickJonesReno
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 81 Iron head carb issues

So Im Nick, Im new to this site, but I dont have any friends here in Reno that can help me out with these problems Im having. I got my first Harley last year, and have been having issues with it. Its an 81 XLH, 1000 cc, with the screamin eagle pipes and S&S super E carb. I had a mechanic do a complete tune up to the bike shortly after buying it, I.E. Oil change, filters changed, plus, new voltage regulator and generator and spark plugs. The bike ran GREAT! However, if i take the bike on a short trip, say up to the grocery store to get something really fast, and come out after letting the bike sit turned off for 5 minutes, it wont start. If the bike sits for extended periods of time, It fires right up. So Im wondering if maybe the spark plugs are getting fuel on them?

I was told that you have to shut the gas off when you turn the bike off or it will flood. So I always do. But it STILL wont start if It ran for 5 minutes, then sits turned off for 5.

I read in a few forums a while back that the S&S carb is too much for this bike. Can someone please give me a little bit of advice as to where I should start, or what they might think it is?

Thanks a bunch guys,

Nick Jones

Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

That bike has solid lifters, and aluminum pushrods.
If your man adjusted those too tight, then they will hold the valve off the seat, so slightly, once warm, causing a compression loss.
Those need to set so they spin very freely, without any up/down lash.
That is where we'd start, if a client came in describing what you have going on.
Scott

Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
NickJonesReno
2nd Gear

Thanks man, thats a huge help for me. I dont think that guy touched any of that, or Im sure I wouldve gotten the bill for it. haha. But i will ask him if he can check those out for me, and explain what youve said, and Im sure hell understand. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.

One more quick question, in regard to the forums I saw about the S&S carb being too much carb for a 1000. Do you think that is true?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion on a S&S is too big for any sportster much less an iron head unless the engine has been modified. When I service a iron head I always adjust the valves as this is very important! My first Harley was a 1972 XLCH that I bought new in 71.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
NickJonesReno
2nd Gear

Thanks Road Captain, I had read that but wasnt sure. So my next question would be, Can I have it jetted? Or should I buy a whole new carb and air filter?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickJonesReno
Thanks Road Captain, I had read that but wasnt sure. So my next question would be, Can I have it jetted? Or should I buy a whole new carb and air filter?
I have jetted many a Iron Head and got them to run OK but with a stock or all most stock motor in my opinion they run better with a smaller carburetor. I am not saying you cannot run one but is way too big.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Thanks man, thats a huge help for me. I dont think that guy touched any of that, or Im sure I wouldve gotten the bill for it. haha. But i will ask him if he can check those out for me, and explain what youve said, and Im sure hell understand. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.

One more quick question, in regard to the forums I saw about the S&S carb being too much carb for a 1000. Do you think that is true?
Well, S&S certainly offers those, for that model, and they come out of the box jetted pretty close.
I do not nessesarily believe they are too big, but they capable of supporting a fairly stout engine.
Scott

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
NickJonesReno
2nd Gear

Ok, so to Road Captain, what carb would you recommend? And to Scott, thanks for the help, would you recommend I try adjusting the stuff you said before and go from there? Or is there a way to have the jets tested so I can see if it needs to be rejetted? And if I have these problems after making the adjustment you mentioned above, would it point to the Carb being too large?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Ok, so to Road Captain, what carb would you recommend? And to Scott, thanks for the help, would you recommend I try adjusting the stuff you said before and go from there? Or is there a way to have the jets tested so I can see if it needs to be rejetted? And if I have these problems after making the adjustment you mentioned above, would it point to the Carb being too large?

Check your valve adjustment first, and if this is a points-triggered ignition(?) your condensor COULD, show similar issues.
How we "test the jets" here in on the Dyno.
Scott