Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

New to tuners, question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013 | 11:56 AM
RevRaz
|
Tourer
Default New to tuners, question

If there is a guide the explains this, that would be great if someone can share a link.

From my take of reading, this is how I understand these:

Power Commander - While plugged in, it actually replaces your ECM tuning and runs the tune that is programmed in the Power Commander. You cannot flash your ECM with this and once removed, your ECM instantly becomes active.

Power Vision - This will flash your ECM to a new program and can be ran being connected or removed.

Is that accurate?

Old 01-11-2013 | 02:37 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Basically the power commander fakes out the ECM to beleive it is doing something else and has to be keep on the motorcycle or it will just go back to where it was ECM was set.

Power vision changes the map in the ECM and can be taken off and the map will stay in the ECM. The reason I say ECM is because that is what HD calls it.
ECM Electrical control module.
ECU Electrical control unit

Really means the same thing.

In my opinion to this point the Power Vision is the only way to go. Nothing like being able to ride and see what is going on in real time.

Old 01-11-2013 | 02:52 PM
RevRaz
|
Tourer

I agree, I was just making sure I understood the differences between them. So if HD charges $150 to flash, sounds like PV is the best option to me as well.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 01-11-2013 | 07:35 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RevRaz
I agree, I was just making sure I understood the differences between them. So if HD charges $150 to flash, sounds like PV is the best option to me as well.

Thanks for the feedback
In my opinion that is not the best way the power vision is as once you flash the ECM you can check it in real time. All so with the PV you can store up to 6 maps and can change them any time or make adjustments. All so if you change some thing on the motor you can change the settings. So if you where to have HD change the map 3 times for motor changes you could pay for the PV and have SO many other options. A Harley map is most time not perfect and with the PV you can make small changes to make it all most or as good as having it put on a dyno as you can check everything in real time.

Last edited by 46u; 01-11-2013 at 07:38 PM.