Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

opinions on building a good TC88, input please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
nightrider05
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinions on building a good TC88, input please

looking for imput on the folks with more experience in hopping up the 88"...

I dont want a massive hot rod here, just want to liven the 88 up a little bit. What im looking into is cams and heads, dont really have a desire to do a big bore, was told there is more bang for the buck in cams and heads. i have a plan in mind which i will list but any input would be great, thanks guys

what im looking at doing:
-fueling cams ( going to get in touch with them for what they recommend)
-updated cam plate and oil pump along with replacing cam bearings
-and researching into head porting, big boys heads seems reasonable, any other recommendations appreciated as well

was also wondering about shaving the heads to bump up the compression some?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrider05

I dont want a massive hot rod here, just want to liven the 88 up a little bit. What im looking into is cams and heads, dont really have a desire to do a big bore, was told there is more bang for the buck in cams and heads. i have a plan in mind which i will list but any input would be great, thanks guys

-and researching into head porting, big boys heads seems reasonable, any other recommendations appreciated as well

Call Bean at BigBoyz, or the head porter of your choice; they will have a plan. Don Dorfman (Dewey's Heads), Kirby (VTwin Perfomance) and Scott (Hillside) come to mind as alternatives to BigBoyz. Suggest you call each, discuss your project and decide.
All offer basic packages with some wrinkles that might be a better option than BigBoyz.

Off the top of my head, a set of velocity ported heads, Andrews 26 cams, a good pipe and tune will be a huge improvement but there are many ways to skin the cat.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

I did this before I went to a big bore. I used Don Dorfman (http://deweysheads.com/) I went with TW37H cams, 2-1 pipe, PCV,30tooth sprocket and Don's head work. My bike ran really well and was fun as hell. Once I had the $$ to go big bore I took my heads back to him for a little more magic and he did the bore and fit my pistons. I got low 90s HP & TQ when it was 88 100+ & 100+ now. My bike is a Dyna so your results may vary

Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

ide really do the 95" kit now,its not alot of coin compared to taking it down a second time.a nice build we do alot of is:
95" kit
1.900/1.615 mild headwork set @ 9.8-1
S&S 570 cams
this is a build that will yield close to 100hp(105+with a stage II type port job) & 100+tq,with stock like driveability & reliability

Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

There are several good combinations.
More than happy to sit down and discuss these with you.
Just give us a call..........
Scott

Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
ide really do the 95" kit now,its not alot of coin compared to taking it down a second time.a nice build we do alot of is:
95" kit
1.900/1.615 mild headwork set @ 9.8-1
S&S 570 cams
this is a build that will yield close to 100hp(105+with a stage II type port job) & 100+tq,with stock like driveability & reliability
Brain fart on my part, usually the first thing out of my mouth when someone posts about building an 88"er. Kirby is right, only another $300 or thereabouts you are at 95"; the most cost effective upgrade you can do. You are going to get there anyway, might as well do it now.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
46u
Road Warrior

First thing in building any motor is just what you want out of it. Low end torque, top speed, Daily rider, weekend racer, round town riding long distance and so on. Is good gas mileage important?

Last edited by 46u; 01-09-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

With our proprietary 98" piston kits, we can pull the 8.5cc dome around, as need be, to optimise the compression of many cams, assuming the 85cc chamber volume.
3 things occur then;
1) the engine jumps up 10 CI.
2) cam is chosen for the intended riding.
3) the compression is then set for the cam.
We have done this many times for clients thru the mail, as well as in-house installs.
HUGE bang for the dollar spent.
Scott

Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you are not looking not looking into a big bore kit. The cam would be the first thing to look into. We completed a build like what you are looking for. Basic and easy made great power. Stock 88 inch with the andrews 48 cam install. No head work basic ex system. End result was very impressive for only a cam and tune.

Yes you can get more power with other work, BB kit heads etc.. however you have outlined what you want and here is an example of a simple upgrade. Fromt eh cam on up its more dollars to get more power. I have to say I was impressed with how well the 48 cam did in a 88 inch engine. Pulled very nice great power, best of all was a very low cost upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails opinions on building a good TC88, input please-88-inch-48-n-conversion-001.jpg  

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 01-10-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically an Andrews 21 cam but with more lift. Nice numbers for the 48 cam in a stock 88".
Any problems with the added lift when used in '05 and below stock heads, Steve?

Quick Reply: opinions on building a good TC88, input please