Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Performance increments

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts
Default Performance increments

I just picked up my bike in early Nov ( 01 Deuce FI stock ) and have been picking up stuff for it here and there. I got rid of the ratty exhaust that came with it and got some Python duel staggerds , put those on. I also got a PCIII and am now looking for a stage 1 intake , think I'm going to go with this new S&S stealth air cleaner kit.

http://www.sscycle.com/feature/featureview.php?s_id=54

My question, or thought maybe, is I'm a few months yet from riding season in my area. I got time to install the PC III and S&S air cleaner kit but I want that comparison feel of before and after, I'm guessing maybe and hour to an hour and a half to install both so wouldn't it be better to wait till I can get my bike out and then install the new stuff and go for a comparison ride or am I gona notice that much difference ?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
My question, or thought maybe, is I'm a few months yet from riding season in my area. I got time to install the PC III and S&S air cleaner kit but I want that comparison feel of before and after, I'm guessing maybe and hour to an hour and a half to install both so wouldn't it be better to wait till I can get my bike out and then install the new stuff and go for a comparison ride or am I gona notice that much difference ?
Waiting is a waste of time. You will need to download a map for your Stage I configuration for a Stage I tune, or put the bike on a dyno. So any tuning done with the A/C only will not be correct when you add the exhaust. Go to the DynoJet website and find a Stage I map as close to your exact configuration as possible, install the A/C and pipes and download the map. Better yet, spring for a dyno tune; the map will never be as good.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Waiting is a waste of time. You will need to download a map for your Stage I configuration for a Stage I tune, or put the bike on a dyno. So any tuning done with the A/C only will not be correct when you add the exhaust. Go to the DynoJet website and find a Stage I map as close to your exact configuration as possible, install the A/C and pipes and download the map. Better yet, spring for a dyno tune; the map will never be as good.
I got the pipes installed a couple weeks after I got the bike, lots of decel pop.

Just got my PC III back from Dynojet today with the latest firmware and tested , it locked up on me so I had to send it to them. I have a map loaded , still have to pick up the S&S kit , 1/2 hour drive to J&P Sat.

I know what your saying about going to a dyno , there map is ball park for my application. Out of curiosity I downloaded a couple of maps only difference was one is for Pythons and the other is for V&H big Shots , vary similar exhaust if not the same. There are different values in comparison, more than I was expecting.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I think your PC III should help with the decel pop, and the new pipes will need that S&S Stealth ac. Wait to see how it runs before worring about a dyno expense, you may be happy. I am thinking about that Stealth ac, so let us know how you like it.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

I got the pipes installed a couple weeks after I got the bike, lots of decel pop.

Just got my PC III back from Dynojet today with the latest firmware and tested , it locked up on me so I had to send it to them. I have a map loaded , still have to pick up the S&S kit , 1/2 hour drive to J&P Sat.

I know what your saying about going to a dyno , there map is ball park for my application. Out of curiosity I downloaded a couple of maps only difference was one is for Pythons and the other is for V&H big Shots , vary similar exhaust if not the same. There are different values in comparison, more than I was expecting.
What does J&P say about a map/tuning/help.......?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Well I haven't asked J&P about tuning , I was just going there to buy the S&S intake kit since there close by.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Doing some research this morning trying to find the right map to use.

Dynojet took good care of me , fixed my PC III no charge , updated & tested it.

As far as map help for my application there were rather vague though. They basically told me that stage 1 is the same for similar exhaust and stage 1 air cleaner ??

The issue I was encountering is not finding my exact pipes listed @ Dynojet site. I down loaded the Python 3 full exhaust ( only Python map listed ) and also the V&H Big Shots map. The way I understand it is that my Pythons are the same thing as V&H big Shots ? I wanted to compare them and sure enough there's quite a bit of difference in them.

I then went to the V&H fuelpak site and compared settings for the Python dual staggards ( they are listed here but not @ Dynojet ) vs the V&H Big Shots and they were identical settings. This seems to confirm that these 2 pipes are the same thing though I can't get anyone to confirm it officially.

So it seems to me the best pre-built map for me to use from Dynojet is for the V&H Big Shots, though Dynojet wouldn't say as much ?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I would not worry too much about finding the perfect match for your set up, if DJ says it is good, then I would roll with it. If you want a more perfect tune you will need to spend more $$ for the SEPRT, PowerVision, TTS, etc.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Well I haven't asked J&P about tuning , I was just going there to buy the S&S intake kit since there close by.
if the J&P in iowa is anything like the one here in daytona,they aint going to be able to tell you anything about anything!!LOL

Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
if the J&P in iowa is anything like the one here in daytona,they aint going to be able to tell you anything about anything!!LOL
I'll second that notion! I was a little confused when I saw someone ask what J&P said. I didn't know if it was the J&P we all know about or some other shop or just sarcasm! Lol

Quick Reply: Performance increments