Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Sanity check: Can't/shouldn't dyno tune when it's raining?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,600 Likes on 2,723 Posts
Default Sanity check: Can't/shouldn't dyno tune when it's raining?

Folks - True? False?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
pjchamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as the dyno isn't in the rain, then their shouldn't be any issues

Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser

I tune when its raining outside. Doesn't make any difference in the tune IMO but your numbers may suffer a little on the dyno sheet.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM
pjchamp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by INDEPENDENT_1
I tune when its raining outside. Doesn't make any difference in the tune IMO but your numbers may suffer a little on the dyno sheet.
don't they have correction numbers for the weater?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 PM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser

Yes, they do but the closer the correction factor is to 1.00 the better IMO. Also water doesn't burn and if it's raining, water gets drawn into the combustion process which eliminates room for hydrocarbons and oxygen which are the ingredients for making power. The best conditions for tuning are the same as the best conditions for racing. Cool, dense, dry air makes the best power regardless of a correction factor.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM
pjchamp
Cruiser

oh ok, yeah i knew the better it was to 1.0 the better

Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
stevequad
Cruiser

Originally Posted by INDEPENDENT_1
Yes, they do but the closer the correction factor is to 1.00 the better IMO. Also water doesn't burn and if it's raining, water gets drawn into the combustion process which eliminates room for hydrocarbons and oxygen which are the ingredients for making power. The best conditions for tuning are the same as the best conditions for racing. Cool, dense, dry air makes the best power regardless of a correction factor.
Nitros doesn't burn either. But a little water in the mix really doesn't hurt, slows down the burn, even helps eliminate detonation and remove carbon. Cold rainy climate is heavy with O2, should produce slightly more power.
IMHO.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stevequad
Nitros doesn't burn either. But a little water in the mix really doesn't hurt, slows down the burn, even helps eliminate detonation and remove carbon. Cold rainy climate is heavy with O2, should produce slightly more power.
IMHO.
The oxygen (in nitrous) mixed with hydrocarbons (raw fuel) burns. That's why nitrous works so well, it's introducing extra oxygen molecules into the combustion process and in turn you have to add extra hydrocarbons (fuel) to keep from causing a lean condition. I have studied combustion chemistry in depth and I operate a dyno for a living and the notion that rainy weather makes more power is just plain wrong. "Slowing down the burn" is not good for power nor does water "help eliminate detonation." Setting the quench helps create a homogeneous mixture of oxygen and fuel and condenses the molecules so the flame jumps from one molecule to the next rapidly when the spark plug ignites the charge(of oxygen and fuel, not water). Water would only slow that flame down and take the space that other oxygen and hydrocarbon molecules could be in and be burned so how the hell is water good for combustion/power? Everytime I get water in my gas, my bike runs like ****. Here's something to ponder, why do you think bigger engines make more power? The answer, they can burn more fuel and oxygen. Why do people put on air cleaner and pipes and cams and bigger valves? To get more oxygen and fuel in and make more power. Why do engines with blowers make more power? Because you are filling the cylinders with more oxygen and fuel, not water.

Last edited by INDEPENDENT_1; 12-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 AM
stevequad
Cruiser

I have used water injection on my turbo engines, with excellent results. But that was in the past, and I am no longer building(retired). I respect your opinion and judgement, as I never ran a Dyno. Just an old mans experience with old school results. I had water injected into carbs when pressure built in manifold using a pressure retard switch. The more water the better, as long as it didn't put the fire out. OTOH these were in race boats, not bikes. But air, fuel, compression and spark are basics. The atomized water most definitely helped reduce detonation and slow the burn.
Still my opinion only because I no longer have documentation, or the education to substantiate this opinion.
Thanks for your information, I really do not disagree with you, just another point of view.
Check this for more info...
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng80a.shtml
Steve

Last edited by stevequad; 12-20-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,600 Likes on 2,723 Posts

Bottom line is my dealer wont tune a bike when its raining out, presumably due to the high humidity.

Quick Reply: Sanity check: Can't/shouldn't dyno tune when it's raining?