Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

oversize valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oversize valves

ive got a set of heads boxed up and ready to send off for work.. I see that vee twin racing installs larger valves..so im assuming i will have to enlarge the valve reliefs on pistons? Do the larger valves make that much difference, or would i be better off staying with stock size valves?
Will be installing with a big bore..either 95 or 98. And running andrews 26 cams, but may change cams before its over.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Go with the larger intake valve; you will be glad you did if you go bigger bore or with more cam in the future. If you are using aftermarket pistons, the valve reliefs are probably OK. However, if H-D pistons the valve reliefs should be opened up; they are deep enough but should move outboard to accomodate the larger diameter valve.

Suggest you send your cylinders and pistons to VTwin, or whoever is doing your heads and let them bore cylinders, fit pistons, gap rings, rework valve reliefs and sent everything back to you to assemble.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 AM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Go with the larger intake valve; you will be glad you did if you go bigger bore or with more cam in the future. If you are using aftermarket pistons, the valve reliefs are probably OK. However, if H-D pistons the valve reliefs should be opened up; they are deep enough but should move outboard to accomodate the larger diameter valve.

Suggest you send your cylinders and pistons to VTwin, or whoever is doing your heads and let them bore cylinders, fit pistons, gap rings, rework valve reliefs and sent everything back to you to assemble.
thanks man

Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgreene1968
ive got a set of heads boxed up and ready to send off for work.. I see that vee twin racing installs larger valves..so im assuming i will have to enlarge the valve reliefs on pistons? Do the larger valves make that much difference, or would i be better off staying with stock size valves?
Will be installing with a big bore..either 95 or 98. And running andrews 26 cams, but may change cams before its over.

Forged pistons, have very large reliefs.
95" Wiseco's for instance, have reliefs that will handle intake valve sizes well north of 2.00", and our proprietary 98" Wiseco pistons will handle up to 2.100".
With the extremely low TDC lift of that Andrews 26 cam, you will have enough to drive a truck between the valve and the forged Wiseco's, or most any machined piston, for that matter.
BTW, 9.6 cr is where you'd want to sign off on compression with that cam as well.
Scott

Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Forged pistons, have very large reliefs.
95" Wiseco's for instance, have reliefs that will handle intake valve sizes well north of 2.00", and our proprietary 98" Wiseco pistons will handle up to 2.100".
With the extremely low TDC lift of that Andrews 26 cam, you will have enough to drive a truck between the valve and the forged Wiseco's, or most any machined piston, for that matter.
BTW, 9.6 cr is where you'd want to sign off on compression with that cam as well.
Scott
Thanks Scott..that helps a bunch. Reckon what you would charge me for a 98" kit if i sent you my jugs

Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Our 98", or 107" kits come with a complete Cometic gasket set/.030" head gaskets, cylinders bored/torque honed, ring end gaps are set, and installed on the pistons.
$600.00.(same price we've had on these since 2007, too bad the price @ gas pumps aren't like that......)
The 98"ers have either an 8.5cc dome, or flatop, and the 107"ers have a 4cc bump, or flat.
We can modify those domes, to establish various needs VERY accurately, with specialty info provided to us via Wiseco's engineering dept.
BTW, @ the flatop configuration, they displace a -2.3cc's, from the large valve reliefs.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgreene1968
Kirby at vee twin would be a great choice if you want bigger valves,his prices are reasonable as well. The 98 is not much more $ than the 95 but I would bump the cam up a bit to maybe an andrews 37 or S&S 570.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Your existing cams are absolutely fine.
Without the cost of new cams, you can install S/E 1.725 rocker arms, and dramatically change that cams output.
We just sent a client home to PA, that pushed 108.7 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpms, SAE, on our Dynojet, with the 26's @ 9.6 cr, in a 98"er, our Stage II heads.
He loves it.........
Scott

Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Your existing cams are absolutely fine.
Without the cost of new cams, you can install S/E 1.725 rocker arms, and dramatically change that cams output.
We just sent a client home to PA, that pushed 108.7 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpms, SAE, on our Dynojet, with the 26's @ 9.6 cr, in a 98"er, our Stage II heads.
He loves it.........
Scott
Sure his cam and your heads would work but when there is something better out there why not use it. He can sell is old cams and buy a new set for the same price or less than the high ratio rockers. Going this direction opens up many options. A 98 with decent heads can surely use more cam than the 26 with it's early intake closing can provide. I would go so far as to say at 108.7 torque you left a bunch on the table by not choosing a better cam. How was the HP?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:20 PM
Nick Maselli
Stage II

Hey just curious I have a 1999 heritage softail with a evo motor
i recently just did screaming eagle high compression 10:1 pistons bored .10 over with bigger stainless 141 valves and all new seals and guides and had the heads fully ported and polished runing a Samson sidewinder pipes and Arleness air cleaner. It has a Andrews ev27 cam and I have the stock cv 40mm carb that has been jeted
it only has 300 miles on it. Is there a bigger cam I could be running for more power without causing any damage to my motor and should I put a Makuni 48mm carb on there or s&s super E
any advice is appreciated it as I’m stuck on what to do from here
It’s also runing a accel superfire ignition magnum wires and screaming eagle colder plugs
I heard of a wood6 or wood8 cam but not sure if that would be ok

Quick Reply: oversize valves