Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

vance and hines big radius exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Bonzaiii
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vance and hines big radius exhaust

I'm thinking of getting a vance and hines big radius exhaust, either the 2 into 2 or 2 into 1. I'm just wondering how imperative it is that I take the bike into the dealer for the download ? What damage will I do by not taking it in. I will be making no other modifications if that matters.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We recommend to have the tuning adjusted anytime you make an exhaust change. That being said we are not fans of the HD Download. Harley does not offer full exhaust systems and the Download would be based on their slip on mufflers and the Stage I Air Cleaner Kit. This is not going to be the correct tuning adjustment for your bike. If you were to run rich or lean they are not always a detriment, although they can be in certain conditions. You will not be getting the bike to run as efficiently and as smoothly as it should. You will find that the proper tuning will/can increase performance, better throttle response, increase fuel mileage, and allow the bike to run cooler, among other things.
Certainly money is a factor on these decisions. So you may consider items such as the Harley Download, V&H Fuelpak, or the Dynojet Power Commander. If that is so then I certainly understand. But if you are going to put money into a tune for your bike why not put that money towards the best option.
We highly recommend the Mastertune TTS to our customers. The TTS tuner and a good dyno tune will even make a big difference on the bike in OEM condition w/out the added A/C or exhaust. One thing to consider is that the TTS or SE Super Tuner will allow one to change the stock ECM base map. Many other options will only "piggyback" your ECM and be an additional electrical component that is not truly a necessity.
This of course is just our opinion and you certainly will get others that may be similar and different. The final decision is yours. Happy riding!

Last edited by No Name Motorcycle Shop; 11-03-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Guys, if any of you ever need any Harley Audio or Harley Electronics such as the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak... we started carrying them on our website for GREAT PRICES and FREE SHIPPING!

Click here - Harley Audio, Harley Electronics, Harley Fuel Pak

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzaiii
I'm thinking of getting a vance and hines big radius exhaust, either the 2 into 2 or 2 into 1. I'm just wondering how imperative it is that I take the bike into the dealer for the download ? What damage will I do by not taking it in. I will be making no other modifications if that matters.

There's right, and then there is everything else.
If you want it to run correctly, then seek out a skilled (independent shop more than likely)tuner in your area and let him use what he is familiar with.
PC, S/E Race Tuner, TTS, Direct Link, will all take you where you need to be.
Scott

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
PunkCholo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed mine yesterday and I have a gap between the flange and motor. Can someone verify if that's normal. Other resources says it's wrong and other says it's okay. Please help.

Thanks but this doesn't look right to me.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only problem I have with any V&H product is many years ago before they ever made anything for a Harley is they told me they would never mess with a piece of **** Harley now look at them.

You have to have some gap for the flanges do there job. What gaskets did you use? The thin flat ones or the thick beveled ones? Are they leaking?