Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New HD 103 Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New HD 103 Upgrade Kit

Do not know if this has been mentioned but thought I'd throw it out here. My local dealer just sent me an add looking for winter engine work. The add states the MoCo has a new 103 upgrade kit PN 92500011 for existing 103 bikes to upgrade the pistons, heads, intake, valve springs and cams. Of course its more than the FuelMoto 107 installed. The add does not mention a map download or dyno but I assume something has to be done to the fuel control.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Just found a discussion back in May about the kit:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...2500011-a.html

Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

The kit is the one below. It is the first these kits to come with a full factory warranty; you will need the tuner. I know it is more expensive than the Fuel Moto kit but the FM kit does not include a 58mm throttle body, plus the convenience of the factory backed warranty if the dealer does the install. Tough call but as factory kits go, this one is the best factory offering yet. Plus if the dealer is looking for winter work, you should push for a deep discount to make the deal more competitive with the Fuel Moto package. Negotiate!

Last edited by djl; 10-29-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM
dv8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put this kit on a couple of months ago, it is very strong, but I would go another option next. In australia, it costs $4500 installed, I got a special for $3500. I was lead to believe that the heads were worked, they are not, so make your own mind from this.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by dv8
I have put this kit on a couple of months ago, it is very strong, but I would go another option next. In australia, it costs $4500 installed, I got a special for $3500. I was lead to believe that the heads were worked, they are not, so make your own mind from this.
The factory ported CNC heads are "worked"; certainly not a full pro-street port job but they are an improved version of the OEM heads. Personally, I don't see the need for stronger springs for most applications but that is a personal choice. The parts are $1850 which means you paid $1650 in labor. At $75/hour, you bought 22 hours of labor for basically the R/R of the top end; that goes for about 8 hours labor in my neck of the woods. Add an hour for the clutch spring install and it is looking like maybe you paid too much. Maybe the tuner and tune were included?

Undoubtedly there are other options that could make more power for the same cost. However, considering the dealer is soliciting for winter work, a discount would be part of the deal. The OPs negotiating skills will determine how deep the discount is. Additionally, aftermarket kits don't come backed with a factory warranty, so there is the added convenience of relying on that warranty should issues arise. All in all, still not a bad deal IMHO.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
TNCarters
Road Master

Thanks DJL. I'm only a couple of months from warranty running out on my 2011 and will likely just go with a Stage 2 of the 103 sometime this winter. It pulls pretty good now with the Stage 1 and will never be a race bike with the weight. Just thought it interesting that the MoCo is beginning to get into warranty motor upgrades in the piston and head area if someone is so inclined. Maybe next bike for a warranty Stage 4.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is nice to see the MoCo stand behind there product and dealership work with a warranty. As DJL said we do builds for the same money that would perform better. We have yet to try this new CNC head. We utilize our in house Silver Bullet Heads that we have perfected for performance. We have used the MVA & Hurricane heads from Harley on bigger displacement builds and they perform very well but need to have the right cam to coincide. We also like a little smaller throttle body as we have found the HPI 55 to outperform HD's 58mm. The only other issue I see from a dealership is them having a dyno tech that can tune the bike right.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM
neabud
Advanced
Question Looking hard at it also

The #92500010 PRO version comes with tuner @ $2250. Local dealer running winter promo with install and dyno time $3300. And says it will be covered by my Warr/ESP. I ride two up distance rides over 75% and probably at a normal 1800-3200 RPM range and want it tuned to give me power and mpg. I've got two reputable dealers claim this kit will do meet my needs. One guy I met with this kit says its much better than his previous 110.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
reidmart1
Novice

Got it a few months ago. Love it. I have put on 2000 miles since and no problems. Plenty of power. Dyno was at 106hp, 112 ft-lbs. The cams sound really cool at idle.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by neabud
The #92500010 PRO version comes with tuner @ $2250. Local dealer running winter promo with install and dyno time $3300. And says it will be covered by my Warr/ESP. I ride two up distance rides over 75% and probably at a normal 1800-3200 RPM range and want it tuned to give me power and mpg. I've got two reputable dealers claim this kit will do meet my needs. One guy I met with this kit says its much better than his previous 110.
The 92500010 kit does not come backed with a factory warranty. While your dealer may very well warranty the kit, if you have problems on the road, other dealers are not obligated by the factory warranty to address your problems. Aside from the SEST being included, that's the major difference between the two kits.

A strong 95" will run with the 110", so the 103" kits will run circles around the 110".

Quick Reply: New HD 103 Upgrade Kit