Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
bmillerstx
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight pipes

Got a question on my exhaust.

I have samson straights with fishtails on FLH 80" EVO and it backfires now and again when downshifting. I've heard of torque cones and lollipops, but know nothing about them or what they do. Would these help any? I love the sound I have and don't want to lose it, but I also want many more years out of the engine also. Any tips or suggestions?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!
The decel "pop" won't hurt your engine, really. Torque cones fit into the pipe at the exhaust flange and are meant to control exhaust wave reversion- to keep the sound waves from moving back and forth in the pipe erratically. "Lollypops" basically do the same thing, but out near the end of the pipe. Check out DKCustoms web site for info on lollypops. They are a sponsor in here. I put a set of their Thunder Torque inserts in my Longshots and the decel pop went away and I picked up a bunch of performance, according to the "butt" dyno. An awesome inexpensive product and great people to work with. My description of the exhaust waves above is really crude and basic, somebody in here could probably give a more detailed explanation.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM
bmillerstx
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best explanation I've heard yet. Thanks for the reply. Ill check out their products and keep researching it. I know my pipes are wide open and my engine is stock 80" EVO for the most part. If any performance gain is achievable by bolt-ons, I'm all ears. Everyone always wants more from what I've gathered.

Any suggestions on simple performance upgrades are welcome. I don't need anything to crazy.