Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

First real problem with bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:01 AM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First real problem with bike

Ok, got about 2300 miles on my 05 1200R and went for a ride tonight. I Had been riding about 30-45 minutes when I decided to stop and have a smoke. Got back on the bike and went to start it and it didnt want to start. For like 4 or 5 times I'd hit the switch, it would start to turn over and then stop. I'm thinking its catching on the compression stroke. Harleys will do that right. I also notice the lights are real dim when trying to start it. Once or twice I held the start button down to try and force it to start but no go.

Just when I think I'm gonna have to start pushing I try again and it fires up. So I jump on and head for home. Once home I let it run for a few minutes more and then kill it. I try to start it again and this time all's I get is a Loud Clicking from in front of the motor someplace. try a couple more times and same thing. I stopped because I'm not sure if I'm doing any damage.

Any ideas whats going on here. In retrospect I havent rode the bike in a few days and had my alarm on. Could the battery have drained That Much. Wouldnt the ride have charged it back up. And what about this clicking noise. What's that. Seemed to be coming from the Front of the bike.

Needless to say I'm a little bummed right now. Your thoughts please.
Thanks....

LV

Old 08-10-2005, 12:07 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: First real problem with bike

Could be a bad battery or battery connection (loose) If it's carbed, it could be flooding for some reason also like dirt in the needle. My bet is the battery or connections or even not charging for some reason. does the light get brighter when you rev it a little from when you start it?

Old 08-10-2005, 12:08 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

My money is on battery or battery connection...

Mac

Old 08-10-2005, 12:39 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My money's on "Future Fortune" in the 4th at Belmont.
Seriously, keep us posted and let us know what you find out. I will tell you that I've left my alarm on and not ridden the bike for over a week and not had any starting problems. Art

Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like a connection to me!! every once in a while i have to tighten the negative wire on my sporty. good luck

Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice above, since you're still in warranty have the dealer check it out for you.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: AceArt

My money's on "Future Fortune" in the 4th at Belmont.
Seriously, keep us posted and let us know what you find out. I will tell you that I've left my alarm on and not ridden the bike for over a week and not had any starting problems. Art

Well I tried to start the bike this morning but no go. I will pick up a charging pigtail from harley tonight to charge up the battery and checks all the connections I can find. My first thought is the alarm drained the battery but now I'm not sure. I will post what I find out. Thanks for ALL the great advice.....

LV

Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can jump start the bike.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Lev
Tourer

I had a similar problem on my bike, it was the imobilizer draining battery power. The clicking noise that sounds as if the starter motor is shot is solenoid chatter. I bought an Optimate battery charger, which can be left permenantly charging ( although I turn mine off when It says the battery is fully charged.) and the problem has not happened again.

Lev

Old 08-10-2005, 03:28 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy, you have been given some good advice and I would have probably told you the same things. Good luck on your starting issue so you can get back to riding and enjoying life a little more on a Harley.

Quick Reply: First real problem with bike