Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Convert TC103 to carb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Convert TC103 to carb?

So I'm looking at the new models coming out and wow. The Dyna Switchback is freaking badass looking, same with the Street Glide which has been out for awhile. In a few years I might look to pick one of these up used. But I've never cared for fuel injection, many times I've been thankful my TC 88 has a carb on it. So I'm wondering if you have the new TC103 how hard is it to swap it to a carb? Say a mikuni or S&S carb. If you buy the complete kit for TC88 which comes with intake manifold and all can that just bolt right up to the new 103? Then I assume theres some computer mumbo jumbo you gotta deal with? thats what i hate, computer garbage and sensors out the *** just waiting to go bad and leave you sit.

Carbs 4 life lol

Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You've lost your mind. Fuel injection is the best thing to happen to any motor. Infinitely more flexible,tuning options are so much better.
My bike can be programmed so when I'm cruising the ecu leans out the a/f to get fantastic mileage,or when I'm into the throttle it's programmed to go rich for max power output,then based on throttle position and rpms it will advance the timing giving me more power in upper rpms.
I guess though once it's programmed I don't ever have to touch it again whereas the old guard is so used to their Harleys breaking they need something to fix.
Why on earth would anyone want a better system,perhaps because it's beyond their comprehension and don't like what they don't know or understand.
Carbs are extinct on new engines for a reason. Engines last longer in part because fuel injection no longer washes down the cylinder walls,which lessens ring wear and eliminates fuel diluting the oil,again adding to the longevity of the moving parts.
And again let's talk fuel economy. Why would anyone want better fuel economy,or conserve any of the world finite resources.
Why ruin a perfectly good bike by putting 100 year old tech on it. Maybe the world should stop turning so that today can last forever and the world won't advance in any way.
There are so many reasons why fuel injection is so far and beyond what a carb is capable of but it's an utter waste of time trying to explain it to someone who started a thread such as this.
I'm surprised you managed to get on to the computer to type,or perhaps you telegraphed it to one of your grandkids and had them do it for you,or was it dictation to a nephews iPhone.
Winter is coming,did you manage to get a coal stove moved in to the new carriage you fashioned this year. Not sure if the horses are going to be able to pull around the extra weight. Might have to hook up a couple foals behind the team this year.
Maybe electricity was looked upon the same way when it was first introduced too. If that damn Edison hadn't invented the light bulb we likely wouldn't even need that pesky electricity.
Ya think maybe if we try hard enough the post office will bring back the pony express. It might tale a bit longer for all my car and truck parts to get here though.
If you want old tech buy an old bike.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain

haha wow
Many folks def say that fi is better then carb, in almost every case it is. However where the carb wins is that to me its easier to tune, if you have fi you need to buy a tuner and make adjustments with remapping fuel and timing curves and all that. With a carb its as simple as buying a jet that cost only a couple bucks and 5 min later youre set. As far as fuel economy goes yes fi is better then carb but thats the last thing im concerned with as far as a cycle goes. When you easily get 40 mpg and better who cares about 1 or 2 mpg? Also with fi you have a bunch of sensors needed so the computer can supply the right a/f mixture. So you have all these sensors just waiting to go bad, what does each of these sensors cost? And if one goes bad how are you gonna figure out which one it is? take it to the dealer and pay a lot of money for someone else to tell you what the problem is.

NHRA cars that make 8,000hp use a carb
Monster Trucks that make 2,000hp us a carb
NASCAR cup cars that make 800hp up until last year used a carb
Super Late model Dirt track cars make 800hp use a carb

Get the idea?

I prefer a carb because of the advantages it has over fi for my purposes. I fully understand the advantages that fi delivers, i've worked on everything from my briggs 5hp lawn mower to a Peterbuilt 379 rocking a CAT C15 to a Jet engine powered generator that cost more then your house.
I'm no master tech but its not my first day in a shop either. I prefer carb over fi and thats probably never gonna change.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NHRA 8,000 hp cars are using injection, not carbs. Dragsters and funny cars have been for decades. NASCAR is *** backwords. A 2 litre Indy car engine makes more power than they do. The money you would spend on the carb conversion could just be used to buy a tuner. The FI is better in every way. Not just economy.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two bike 06 SG w/carb 09 RG FI -- why would you want a carb -- FI is much better and with the advancement of auto tuners -- no way would I switch from FI to Carb

Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Better is subjective. Better to some may be the technical advantages offered by an EFI system while better to some may be the simplicity of the naturally aspirated motor; jets and needles vs relying on a third party and a dynomometer.

I would never go to the trouble and expense to convert EFI to carb; just doesn't make sense to me. However, when I bought my second bike, I bought a carbureted model for the simplicity of the carb. I have one of each and like each for what each has to offer.

To debate or argue about something as subjective as why one prefers EFI to carb or visa versa is a waste of time.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Fastrider124
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, I am old school enough to still want a CARB. I will never own a FI bike! I will not pay the stupid dyno fees, add the necessary controllers to be able to override mfg junk to get the damned thing to run right.
My CARBED S&S 124 gives 47mpg US at 70 mph, plugs last 25000klms, I'm happy.
Fifteen minutes on a dyno told me everything I wanted and needed to know. Saying all that, I agree with others that its not worth the effort to change out FI for a carb.Fastrider 124

Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain

Good points everyone makes for EFI, Some say its not worth the time and money to switch and EFI bike to Carb but i'm not even sure how much money or time it is, thats what im asking.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have both carb and EFI bikes. The only one that has been on a dyno is the carb bike, twice, to optimise it's ignition and fuelling!

For many years early EFI bikes left a lot to be desired, but recent models run much better. However when modifying them there is no doubt that doing the job properly, including dyno-tuning, is the best way. While once we all rode around on badly tuned modified carb bikes, we also messed with them in our back yards. Modern vehicles are far more finely tuned beasts, give superior performance, but also require superior tuning to maintain the advantages they give, over backyard tuned bikes.

If you are buying a new EFI bike and want to modify it, budget to do the job properly, but look forward to enjoying the fruits of your investment!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Think of it as a stereo system. The carb is one that has adjustments for bass and trebile. The FI has a 12 band equalizer.

Quick Reply: Convert TC103 to carb?