Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

What to know before calling about heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default What to know before calling about heads?

I know little to nothing about headwork besides what Ive been researching.
Most threads have the same answers "Call the vender". Not a problem but what I need to know is what does the vender need to know so I can gather everything that they might ask before I call.
I have a few venders in mind and have decided on them because of value and quality of work based off what I have read from different forums.
I'm not looking for anything crazy but more than a basic street port.

What I'll be using them with is a S&S 106 kit I found new on ebay for $600 shipped and couldn't pass it up. I already have the TW-555 cams that I want to keep, and I have a used set of 2011 103 heads w/ACR that I will be sending off to get worked on. My bike is still running the 96" now so I'm not in a hurry to get the head work done.

When I call, is this all I need to tell the vender or will he need more info? I want all around performance not a dyno number beast. Reading this over I sound like a noob!

I don't plan on getting bigger injectors but may port the throttle body.
When I look at the online ordering forms they have a lot of options that I don't know what I should be shooting for like what compression, milling the deck, intake and exhaust port size, head gasket thickness, etc....

Ive looked at the s&s pistons but they don't say anything, this is the kit that I have...
http://www.sscycle.com/product/Twin-...ns-p24047.html

Also I will be keeping my Rinehart true duals, just love the sound. Maybe down the road I'll upgrade to a good 2-1 or 2-1-2 but for now I'll stick with these.
I'm sure I missed something but for now is there anything I missed or need to find out or will a good head porter be able to work with me from the information I already have posted?

Last edited by hd_rolling; 08-28-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Default Options??

Also, here are some options that I see from different venders and I'm not sure what if any gains they might produce?

CC & Mill
BRONZE GUIDES
1.866 OR 1.90 INTAKE VALVE
1.90 INTAKE & 1.575 EXHAUST
1.90 INTAKE & 1.625 EXHAUST
INTAKE VALVES 1.940, 2.0, 2.080, 2.125
EXHAUST VALVES 1.575, 1.610, 1.630
OVERSIZE VALVES & SEATS
RACING VALVE SPRINGS
VITON SEALS
MAX SURFACING = .060
1.900 x 1.580/1.630
SET-UP VALVE GEOMETRY LENGTHS
MILLING TOP OF HEAD .010" to .080"
STREET PORTING
RACE PORTING
CC combustion chamber, set to desired spec ???
cryogenic coated extreme duty beehive style valve springs up to .600 lift
Exhaust port and and combustion chamber fully polished
set combustion chamber volumes as low as 78cc
Ductile Iron Step-Lock Valve Guides
91cc Combustion Chamber (Skim Decked)
97cc Combustion Chamber (Skim Decked )
96cc Combustion Chamber (Undecked)
NASCAR Designed Valve Springs
Titanium Valve Collars & Teflon Valve Seals
Top is surfaced to insure flatness
Head gasket area is surfaced to reset compression ratio requested by customer
custom 2.000 intake and 1.610 exhaust valve to correct rocker arm geometry. It is offered in either a 1.710 or 1.760 inlet opening.

With all these options its hard to know whats fluff and whats needed???

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What I'll be using them with is a S&S 106 kit.
I already have the TW-555 cams.
I have a used set of 2011 103 heads w/ACR
Also I will be keeping my Rinehart true duals
This is what you tell the head porter you have.

I'm not looking for anything crazy but more than a basic street port.
I want all around performance not a dyno number beast.
This is what you tell the head porter you want. You don't need to be as smart as the guy doing the work but it does help to have a basic understanding so you know if he's blowing smoke up your dress. Don't be afraid to talk to more than one company just so you can compare.

If you read most of the major H-D forums you'll see the same names of head porters keep popping up. That's usually because the deliver what they promise. Some companies are more active on one forum more than another so surf the web. I've gained quite a bit of info by being a member of more than one forum.

I just went through this and it was worth the time to do the research. I am more than pleased with the results I received. I got a good value for the dollar and the performance increase put the power right where I wanted it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Most of the head porters offer a basic package, some call it a 'street port', some call it 'stage 1', etc., but they all have a variation that makes their package a little different from the next guy and at a different price point. For instance, BigBoyz street port retains OEM springs, guides where the next guy's package may include the same basic porting but also new bronze valve guides. The BigBoyz street port does not include ccing and decking the heads; that's another $100.

The head porter needs to know what you components you plan to use but most importantly, how you ride; what's your riding style; where do you want the power. You have limited the porter's options by pre-selecting a cam; he has to work within the limits of the cam profile. Those cams like and need fairly high compression to perform; don't be afraid of compression, that's where the torque comes from. If the porter suggests that you put the 555 cams on Ebay and go with another cam, listen to him.

You should be focused on what is included in the package and whether or not you need everything included. For instance, you don't need heavy duty valve springs; the OEM springs are fine for what you are planning. Do you need new valve guides? Do you need a larger intake valve? For what you are planning, I don't think so but that is your call. The porter can advise you on the throttle body/injector questions; listen to him.

You haven't mentioned fuel management but you need the TTS Mastertune and to find a good tuner. All will be for naught without a good tune. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

you should know what cams your going to use & your riding style,your chosen porter will go over compresion & intake to make it work.we dont have "cookie cutter" finished heads sitting on the shelf,from a street port to a stage III job,we do each set for the EXACT build,find someone that does the same.getting a "off the shelf" set of heads that will work on your build is a crap shoot at best

Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Hey thanks for all the great advice and I will start calling after all our Hurricane buisness finishes. To busy at work to start calling but I will before I decide to ship the heads out. Ive got a least another month before its cool enough here for me to start a tear down but I will have everything ready to go.