Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Low MPG with TMAX on 2006 Springer

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
leslie0802
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Low MPG with TMAX on 2006 Springer

Hi,
I have a '06 Springer, FLSTSCI. I had a TMAX installed on my bike last year. I only got to ride it about a 1000 mi before I was rear-ended and had to have the pipes and a smashed TMAX cord replaced. Mechanic said everything was reset after pipes replaced, but my gas mileage seems to be decreasing on a regular bases. The mechanic told me to try reinitialize the TMAX with the 30sec/10sec on/off but failed to say "do not start the engine." So I know I will have to reinitializing again, but wanted to check with others to see if anyone has experienced MPG decreasing. What did you do about it?
What site do I go to to get the software to download to a laptop? What info would be helpful to have before I download the program? I have watched the utube videos so I have become familar with doing the tuning once the PC is hooked up but do not have the original CD that came the TMAX unit. Any suggestions?
Leslie

Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 AM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master

leslie0802 You can get all the information from the t-max website. you can also down load the software there for free. Also was the power to you bike disconnected at all? If it was your supposed to remove the ecm fuse so you don't loose the info on your t-max ecm.
also to reinitialize your t-max its 30/sec on 30/sec off for 3 cycles. which means if you have a stop watch its a total of three min. to do this. Sounds like your base map has been corrupted hence the shitty gas milage. I would down load the software. And with in the software there's a help tab click that and you will find the pdf manual with every thing you need to know about your t-max. the website also has vids on how to select a base map and load it to your ecm. sounds confusing but its really not that bad. Just follow the directions step by step and you can't go wrong.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have and exhaust leak at the head. Did you put in new gaskets?

A leak will read lean and the TMax will add fuel.

Also connect to the TMax with the software and run Auto Tune.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

Like said before, you need to make sure you download the latest software from Zippers. Then choose the best map for your set up and install it. It may be the same map as you have, but Zippers has come out with some new maps lately. Follow the directions carefully to load the new map:

• Go to EFI Maps > EFI Map Listings and Definitions.
• Select the desired map by double clicking anywhere on the definition.
• Select “Load Base Map” from the Base Map Name Encoding window.
• Go to File > Write Module Maps and Settings.
• Go to Map Editing > Clear Learned Fuel Adjustments.
• Go to Map Editing > Clear Learned Idle Control Adjustments (this step does not apply to Throttle By Wire systems).
• In the Tuning Maps tree, go to Module Configuration > Basic Settings to confirm the correct Speedo-Cal value for your year and model.

Initializing the Module

A. For ThunderMax systems on bikes with cable throttle control

• With kill switch in run position, cycle the ignition switch 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, 3 times.
• Start engine and let warm up to operating temp without touching throttle.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
leslie0802
Stage III

Thanks for your replies, I will try this.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
neogermania
Novice

Did you have any luck with fuel mileage? I have an 06 Road King with a TMax ECM, runs better than with stock ECM but is a pig on fuel and runs quite rich. I have re-booted with maps and also cleared all learned adjustments.
Purchased the Auto Tune portion of the controller and getting 02 bungs welded in at the end of the week.
I haven't tried actually selecting a new map, just reloading the one on file (believe it's 745). Would like to know if you had any change. Right running about 220km to a tank which I think is 18.5lts.