Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

RINEHART SLIP ONs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 PM
07NYBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RINEHART SLIP ONs ?

After much debate between deciding on which pipes,my Rinehart slip-ons were delivered to my door yesterday! I got a great deal $$.
So, my plan is to install them myself, then install the SE Air Filter setup, purchase the SERT and get it Dyno'd and tuned the right way.
I wonder if I can run just the slip-ons by themselves for a month or two, before I add the A/C, Sert and dyno tune.???
Has anyone just run slip ons? Will this damage the bike? I think it'll be ok for a while until I get the $$$ for the other items. Any thoughts?

07 FXDB Street Bob, Blue Denim
Stock for now.
Waiting to install:
Rinehart slip -ons
SE a/c
SERT

Old 01-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: RINEHART SLIP ONs ?

Yes, you can run it with just the Slip-on mufflers.......

The ECM has an ADAPTIVE FUEL capability, that will modify the motors needs for fuel, but only for the mufflers....

If you installed the AC unit, you could run it, but the capabilities would be almost maxed out....

Play it safe, install the muffs, save up the pennies and get it done correctly, you wont believe the difference....

Old 01-20-2007, 01:47 AM
gearman
Advanced

Hey shovelhead,I've got a 07 flht.Going to put on wild pig slip-ons,1.75 baffles.Is it alright to run without a remap on these pipes.No air kit added.Thanks trannyman

Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Your screen name is killin' me.......................

Yes.... You can install the mufflers and the bike will literally LEARN, and modify the base map for future reference.......

That is the great thing about the 07's.... It is called ADAPTIVE FUEL... It was brought in from the Buell side of the house......

The system makes adjustments for small mods like the mufflers, quality of fuel, variations of seasonal fuels, and MINOR intake/exhaust leaks...

BTW, welcome aboard...... Please post an intro in the NEW MEMBERS SECTION at your earliest convenience.....

Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
rotorhead
Cruiser

Shovelhead, I have an 06 deluxe. Does the ECM work the same. I wanted to install the Rush slip ons, but dont have the pennies to buy a computer at this time. Will it hurt my bike adding the slip ons without mapping?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:14 AM
gearman
Advanced

Thanks shovelhead for the input.I've been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 26 years and I thought the screen name fit pretty good. If you need advice on transmissions give me a post.Thanks

Old 01-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

The 06 ECM does NOT work the same, and another thing that you have going against you a little bit is that 1 of your mufflers has a solid core catalytic convertor in it.......

Yes, you can change the mufflers, but you won't get the same results as if it were an 07, or even a carb'd bike.....

05-06's were funny for that..... You will get the sound, but more prevelant to decel pop, as the scavenging effort is different without the convertor there to assist in generating some back pressure....

Old 01-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SHBob...welcome back ....glad to see your profile is back and your contributing for those of us that REALLY want to learn !!!!

To the other posts, as everyone has assured you.....the pipes only should be fine but you wont notice significant power benefit until you open the air end up and add the PC/SERT. Best of luck.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
rickhess
2nd Gear

I am having the Rinehart SO's and an Arlen Ness AC setup being installed on my 07 RK Custom at the dealership right now. The HD service manager told me I don't need a controller or recalibration, but I see references to PCs, SERTs and recalibrationby everyone that is changing his exhaust and AC setup. This is true of posts about 07 twin cams as well.

Will I damage my bike if I don't add a controller, or will I just not get the full benefit of the mufflers and AC change?

In general, will the reliability of my engine be significantly reduced by the exhaust and AC change? with or without the controller and recalibration? Doesn't the additional strain on the engine depend more on how you use the extra powerrather than whether or not you have it?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

If you do the AC change (Stock to Hi-Flo), you will be running wayyyyyyyyyyy too lean.....

By allowing all that additional air in the motor, and not adding fuel, you open up a whole can of worms.....

Do yourself a favor, get a Fuel Management system that you and your tech feel comfortable....

If not, well, it's your bike......

Quick Reply: RINEHART SLIP ONs ?