Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Custom 2-1 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:09 PM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom 2-1 Exhaust

So I've decided I'm over my current exhaust set-up on my 2010 Sportster 1200.

I'm running Bassani Pro-Street's,

While I love the look of them, everyone compliments me on them! They sound amazing and WOT performance is top notch. I'm sick of the right hand lean angle, what fun is a sportster if you can't scrape the pegs?
My tire is actually starting to wear funny, and is no longer round... The left side is wore down way more than the right.
I also feel I'm leaving some power behind in the low-mid range with these pipes, sure it screams at 5000rpm... but how often is it there?
I've decided to run a 2-1 as from what I've read is the optimal set-up for performance. Trouble is no one makes anything that's esthetically pleasing to me, and I don't plan on dishing out $600+ for a Bobcat or V&H Outlaw.... Especially when I dont like the look of them.
So that leads me to a custom 2-1, I'm highly influenced by the Japanese style bikes and I love the look of the 2-1's they run:

I found this thread, http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1128716[/URL] XLfourm member Bassboy311 used a Rinehart 2-1 header paired with a muffler from Cone Engineering:

I'm planning on doing the same, minus the transition piece between the header and muffler to keep it short and low. I'll be using a BUB Lakester 2-1 header which is a stepped design, from 1 3/4” to 1 7/8” to a 2.5” collector. BuB used to manufacture the Rinehart's so its practically the same header.
Hopefully it'll hug the bike tight enough to scrape the pegs before the muffler.
Here's an exhaust off an Ironhead that pretty much models what I'm after:

I've heard about some bad reversion issues with certain 2-1 exhaust systems though, I'd like to avoid that 2500-3000 flat spot.
What usually creates reversion, and how is it avoided? For instance, I've heard the BuB "7" 2-1 has a horrible flat spot, while the BuB "Lakester" doesn't?
One of the leaders in performance pipes for BT's is JBV, their design is similar, obviously with larger diameter pipes:

Whats your opinion on this style of pipe from a performance perspective? What kind of power do you think it'll make and what RPM range? Good? Bad?

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I've gone from separate pipes on my Glide to a 2-into-1 and can confirm that you are heading in the right direction. I gained up to 15% more torque in the low/mid range.

As for those pictures I can't help thinking in most of them the bottom pipe is lower than the frame rail, so I do wonder if they will give you the extra ground clearance you want.

If yours is a street bike, getting a system with suitable length pipes and diameter is the challenge! If the pipes are too short (racing system) or too large they won't work very well IMHO. I look forward to seeing how you get on.