Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tapping/ticking sounds? Diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
tohi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping/ticking sounds? Diagnosis?

What is the most effective way to diagnose the cause of tapping and ticking noises. Typically I would just bring it to a mechanic but I am unemployed and financially strapped and will do the work myself if I could diagnose the problem first and know if it is within my mechanical capabilities wheelhouse.
The tap is coming from the front jug and it is pretty loud, but the bike is running very well beyond this. TC88 only 18K miles. I need to fix it so I can sell it to help pay my bills.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Tapping/ticking sounds? Diagnosis?-bikedscf0367small.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The old "ticking noise" problem, again.

First thing I would suggest is get yourself a $10 automotive stethoscope and try to isolate the noise; the location of the originating source is often hard to locate.

Did the noise just start or have you been living with it for a while? Have you made any modifications or repairs lately? Is the engine stock? If not, what has been modified?

Chasing these noises is frustrating and time consuming. A dealer tech would take a stab at it, take your money for the work and most likely, the noise is still there. Or, you will get "they all do that" response from the service manager.

Plenty of forum members have experience chasing noises like this and all have found different sources. Keep posting what you are doing, answer the questions that will be thrown at you as best you can and you might get lucky and figure it out.