Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

2 into 1 compared to drag pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:09 PM
WARG
|
Elite HDF Member
Default 2 into 1 compared to drag pipes

I have read 2 into 1 pipes are better performing pipes than drag pipes. Why is this? Are the 2 into 1's more restrictive or higher flowing than drag pipes? I am looking at getting a D&D Fatcat or V&H Pro Pipe and just wanted to understand the science behind them.

Anyone using the D&D or V&H 2 into 1 systems, how loud are they? What is the exhaust tone like (ex. deep, high, etc.)

thanks

Old 01-17-2007 | 01:28 PM
WARG
|
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: 2 into 1 compared to drag pipes

No takers?

Old 01-17-2007 | 03:40 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

Drag pipes make excellent top end power in a modified race motor and thats about it. If your building a drag bike for hi RPM racingget drag pipes.

Old 01-17-2007 | 03:42 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

I'll try, drag pipe are less restrictive than a 2/1 pipe, the drag pipes will do pretty well on the top end, HP numbers should be equal to or in some cases higher than 2/1 pipes, on the other end TQ, a drag pipe doesn't produce enough back psi to boost the TQ as a 2/1 pipe will do.
I run the Supertrapp 2/1 pipe (one of the quietest 2/1 out)
Fatcat is comparable to the Supertrapp, just quiet a bit louder, I haven't heard their quiet baffles
Vance and Hines Pro-Pipe, I have run one on a 94 Softail, I did not like it very well and it will not produce the power the Supertrapp or Fatcat will.

Old 01-17-2007 | 05:21 PM
WARG
|
Elite HDF Member

When I purchase one it will be the Fat Cat. I want performance and I want it loud, so it sounds like the Fat Cat is for me. Plus, they are located here in Texas so that is a plus as well.
thanks

Old 01-17-2007 | 06:04 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

why is their location in TX an advantage?

Old 01-17-2007 | 06:52 PM
WARG
|
Elite HDF Member

No advantage, but I believe they are in Fort Worth which is only 20 miles away, soI can go over and pick it up if I want. Plus it never hurts to support a local company.

Old 01-17-2007 | 07:02 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Getting rid of the Hatchets?

If your going to a 2 into 1 setup I would seriously take a look at Thunderheader. My buddy has one on his 03 Fatboy.

Old 01-17-2007 | 08:29 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

agreed and from them you can get quick help if needed (I assume)

Old 01-18-2007 | 02:22 AM
Z
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Harleypaw

I'll try, drag pipe are less restrictive than a 2/1 pipe, the drag pipes will do pretty well on the top end, HP numbers should be equal to or in some cases higher than 2/1 pipes, on the other end TQ, a drag pipe doesn't produce enough back psi to boost the TQ as a 2/1 pipe will do.
I run the Supertrapp 2/1 pipe (one of the quietest 2/1 out)
Fatcat is comparable to the Supertrapp, just quiet a bit louder, I haven't heard their quiet baffles
Vance and Hines Pro-Pipe, I have run one on a 94 Softail, I did not like it very well and it will not produce the power the Supertrapp or Fatcat will.
2-1 pipes also provide a scavenging effect that you don't get with drags. The exhaust pulse from one cylinder draws exhaust from the other head pipe. With proper tuning / jetting, a good 2-1 pipe is far superior in the RPM ranges that most of us ride at. Drags aren't real effective until you get deep into the main jet on full-throttle runs, where your biggest need is air flow, not back-pressure and scavenging.

I run SuperTrapp Supermeg 2-1 pipes but I've replaced the stock closed end-cap with the SuperTrapp open end-cap and I reduced the number of disks to 8 (I think). Still reasonably quiet at low RPM but crack the throttle and the sound real, REAL good... IMHO.

Z

Quick Reply: 2 into 1 compared to drag pipes