Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

A motor flywheels in a B motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 PM
death trap
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A motor flywheels in a B motor?

Can you put a set of A motor wheels in a B motor? Was thinking by doing that it would eliminate the countershaft and have less rotating mass like an A motor and have a higher redline. Beside shaking more, is then any other draw backs? I put an A motor in a hardtail frame and solid mounted it, it didn't shake as bad as I thought it would. That was almost 10 years ago (a friends bike) and he hasn't had an issue with it being solid mounted as of yet. Any input?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

No.
Scott

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
death trap
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
No.
Scott
LoL, why not????

Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by death trap
LoL, why not????
Because he said so!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 PM
death trap
Advanced

Originally Posted by soft 02
Because he said so!
Lol, not trying to be smart but if I never tried to do something just because people told me no, I would have went to collage, got a good job, maried that cute girl with the rich parents.... hay waight a min, maybe thats were my life went wrong, LoL! For real tho, no doesn't help me understand why it wont work and I'm fine if it wont work but would love to know what the problem is.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I know. I was just bieng a smart ***. Wouldnt mind knowing too. Cant say id want to ditch my balancers though.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,975 Likes on 4,167 Posts

You can take the balance cams out of a TCb motor. Stupid idea but you can. The flywheel is the crank and alternator rotor. Sort of like having a 1/8" longer *****. What it's going to help. There is a oil passage way that will need blocked also. If you need it I can post it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
98windrider (08-21-2017)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,222 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by death trap
Can you put a set of A motor wheels in a B motor? Was thinking by doing that it would eliminate the countershaft and have less rotating mass like an A motor and have a higher redline. Beside shaking more, is then any other draw backs? I put an A motor in a hardtail frame and solid mounted it, it didn't shake as bad as I thought it would. That was almost 10 years ago (a friends bike) and he hasn't had an issue with it being solid mounted as of yet. Any input?
Please explain what countershaft you think would be eliminated. If you are referring to the balancer assembly, why not just remove it and you won't have to swap cranks? If you have ever ridden a softail with the balancers removed, you most likely wouldn't do it. Furthermore and FYI, there are guys running the B motors in drag bikes, with balancers, to 7200rpms.

AFAIK, the crank assemblys are the same with the difference being the B crank has the balancer sprocket pressed on the pinion shaft. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are interchangeable. The balancer sprocket has a flange that rides in the pinion side case and I don't believe the A case will accomodate the counterbalance sprocket flange.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM
death trap
Advanced

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You can take the balance cams out of a TCb motor.
Ok, but wouldn't the A motor flywheels be balanced to run without the balance shaft and there for be better to use then just ditching the the balance shaft on a B motor?

Stupid idea but you can.
Why is deletteing the balance shaft a stupid idea? Less rotating mass would = faster revs, weight saveings, by deletteing the balance shaft, doesn't that alow the motor to have a higher redline? If that's true it sounds good to me.

Sort of like having a 1/8" longer *****. What it's going to help.
Hay an 1/8 might not seem like much but put about 9 of those 1/8"s togheter and that like. . . . . . . . . a 15 inches I think.

There is a oil passage way that will need blocked also. If you need it I can post it.
A pic would be cool, is that a passage to go to oil the balance shaft? SoOo does that mean that oiling to the rest of the engine would incress once the oil passage is pluged? If so I might need some bigger boxers!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
death trap
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Please explain what countershaft you think would be eliminated. If you are referring to the balancer assembly, why not just remove it and you won't have to swap cranks?
Yes I'm talking about the balancer assembly. Like posted above I just figured the A motor's crank would be balanced diffrent (to run without the balancer assembly) then the B motor so it would be a beter choice then just delletteing the assembly with the B crank

Originally Posted by djl
If you have ever ridden a softail with the balancers removed, you most likely wouldn't do it.
I never have but I have ridden a A motor solid mounted and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would have been and I honestly am alittle dissapointed in how little my B motor shakes . . . . in a weird kind of way

Originally Posted by djl
Furthermore and FYI, there are guys running the B motors in drag bikes, with balancers, to 7200rpms.
I know but I thought you would have to upgrade the chain and tensioner assembly for the balance shaft to rev higher. Kind of why I keep going back to an A crank and deletting the balance assembly.

Originally Posted by djl

AFAIK, the crank assemblys are the same with the difference being the B crank has the balancer sprocket pressed on the pinion shaft.
Me too, that's why I posted to ask the experts

Originally Posted by djl
However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are interchangeable. The balancer sprocket has a flange that rides in the pinion side case and I don't believe the A case will accomodate the counterbalance sprocket flange.
Not trying to put a B crank in a A motor just press the sprocket on an A crank and put it in a B motor

Thanks for the info man!

Quick Reply: A motor flywheels in a B motor?