Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM
btigue
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance

what are the best cams for my 103 i do a lot of traviling i need dependable motor.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S.E. 255's are supposed to be a good cam that produces good power in the 2-4500 rpm range. There's also the S&S 583's or the Andrews 55h's. All three produce similar power and are good to use in your 103" motor

Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by btigue
what are the best cams for my 103 i do a lot of traviling i need dependable motor.
An Andrews 48 is the non-emmission version of the upside down, inside out, 255.
Another great option would be a Wood TW-5-6.
Scott

Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
mrfeeney
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
An Andrews 48 is the non-emmission version of the upside down, inside out, 255.
Another great option would be a Wood TW-5-6.
Scott
I am also researching cams for my 103 and was considering the SE 255 as the advertised "usually shifts below 4500" applies to me. The question I have is what you meant in your comment of upside down and inside out?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeeney
I am also researching cams for my 103 and was considering the SE 255 as the advertised "usually shifts below 4500" applies to me. The question I have is what you meant in your comment of upside down and inside out?
Scott can speak for himself but IMHO, the 48 would be a better choice for a cam only upgrade than the 255. Same bottom end but with the added benefit of more on the top end. The 255 starts to fade above 4000rpms. If only interested in low end power, the 255 is not a bad choice. Often referred to as a "school bus" cam; plenty of TQ but not much HP.

Last edited by djl; 07-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

That refers to what we feel here, are odd timing specs of that particular cam.
As djl, pointed out, the 48 would be a very good choice indeed.
Scott

Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM
mrfeeney
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
That refers to what we feel here, are odd timing specs of that particular cam.
As djl, pointed out, the 48 would be a very good choice indeed.
Scott
I have been looking at the specs for the Andrews 48H and comparing it to the SE 255. The lobe centerline angles that I calculated from timing chart in the SE catalog are similar for the intake and only 3.5 degrees different for the exhaust However the duration is longer so the 48 intake opening is advanced compared to the 255 and the exhaust timing is also. The problem is that although I can clearly see the differances in these two cams I usually don't know exactly what it all means to me and getting what I want out of my bike. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good information on the effects of cam specs and mating them to intake, displacement and exhaust?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

if your looking for all around cam,not just low end torque,look @ the S&S .570`s

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I have been looking at the specs for the Andrews 48H and comparing it to the SE 255. The lobe centerline angles that I calculated from timing chart in the SE catalog are similar for the intake and only 3.5 degrees different for the exhaust However the duration is longer so the 48 intake opening is advanced compared to the 255 and the exhaust timing is also. The problem is that although I can clearly see the differances in these two cams I usually don't know exactly what it all means to me and getting what I want out of my bike. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good information on the effects of cam specs and mating them to intake, displacement and exhaust?
You can study lobe center lines/angel, LSA, duration, etc. until your head explodes. Better time spent studying dyno charts and hearing from guys that have installed a particular cam. At the end of the day, you can do all that but until the cams are installed and the engine tuned, you really won't know whether you like the cams or not.

Remember your OP which was pointed at a cam only upgrade. Either of the cam mentioned are good performers; just different.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
mrfeeney
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
You can study lobe center lines/angel, LSA, duration, etc. until your head explodes. Better time spent studying dyno charts and hearing from guys that have installed a particular cam. At the end of the day, you can do all that but until the cams are installed and the engine tuned, you really won't know whether you like the cams or not.

Remember your OP which was pointed at a cam only upgrade. Either of the cam mentioned are good performers; just different.
I have been looking at the numbers folks post with this setup and that. The problem is the number of variables involved even if the build was exactly like mine you still have the differances in the dynos and the tuners using them. That being said I have taken a look at the 48H and noticed that the 54H has essentially the same exhaust specs with a longer duration and slightly later intake. If I am "reading" this correctly it might have a little longer legs?

Quick Reply: performance