Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Spark knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spark knock

Do all delphi fi harley have this feature to sense engine knock/ping and retard timing

Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Fastrider124
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has always been my understanding that all Delphi systems have incorporated the ionization knock detect system right from the start.
Two things to note: Changing any perimeter like spark plugs or plug wires can mess up the detection system, making it either perform poorly or become inoperative.
Stick with recommended HD plugs and wires. FWIW Fastrider 124

Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Champion RA8HC

Originally Posted by Fastrider124
It has always been my understanding that all Delphi systems have incorporated the ionization knock detect system right from the start.
Two things to note: Changing any perimeter like spark plugs or plug wires can mess up the detection system, making it either perform poorly or become inoperative.
Stick with recommended HD plugs and wires. FWIW Fastrider 124
HD plugs are Champion RA8HC's for $1.55 at most auto parts chains. Both measure 20k
ohms while most other resistor plugs are 6k ohms and here's the problem. Plug and plug
wire need to be about 25k ohms for the ion knock detection system to work and retard
the spark when ping/detonation occurs. Other than indexing, I've seen zero improvement
using more expensive plugs including high performance iridiums in a Harley even though
they do show improvents and are stock in modern high performance vehicles. IMHO.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is just too bad it doesn't get rid of the pinging however!!! Kinda ticks me off to put out that much cash for a nice bike only to have to put up with pinging in hot weather. BTW, I ordered the Powervision today, hopeing that does the job!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Ion sensing system

Originally Posted by TCMAN
It is just too bad it doesn't get rid of the pinging however!!! Kinda ticks me off to put out that much cash for a nice bike only to have to put up with pinging in hot weather. BTW, I ordered the Powervision today, hopeing that does the job!
That's what it's suppose to do - retard the spark to get rid of the pinging but doesn't seem
to always work that way. Several guys I know were able to fix their pinging problem with an
oil cooler on their baggers - desert southwest is smoking hot today.