Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

S.E. 103 kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

All of our in-house bored cylinders, to include the 98", and 107" kits, come with the rings gapped, by us, and rings installed on the pistons as well.
That is service we gladly provide, in order to ease the install process.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
went to harbour freight today and bought a blind hole bearing puller they had a kit on sale for $35 bucks. As for getting the bearings back in I will make up a little jig to press them in. I have a local guy here in town that owns a machine shop and does motor work i will contact him to see about gapping the rings for me. did not realize i was gonna have to put this on the dyno twice.
Install the bearings with the numbers facing out.

You don't HAVE to put the bike on a dyno twice; it's just what I would do. You can't final tune the bike without some WOT pulls and I don't think you want to do that with a fresh top end but maybe you do.. My local tuner will put a fresh top end on the dyno and do a few easy pulls to check AFR and adjust if necessary for breakin. With the engine at operating temperature a few pulls with load applied will also seat the rings; takes about 30 minutes. Once some miles are rolled up; he will put it back on the dyno and spend 2-4 hours on a final tune. That's just one way to do i and it works for me. But, it's your ride, you decide.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djl
Install the bearings with the numbers facing out.

You don't HAVE to put the bike on a dyno twice; it's just what I would do. You can't final tune the bike without some WOT pulls and I don't think you want to do that with a fresh top end but maybe you do.. My local tuner will put a fresh top end on the dyno and do a few easy pulls to check AFR and adjust if necessary for breakin. With the engine at operating temperature a few pulls with load applied will also seat the rings; takes about 30 minutes. Once some miles are rolled up; he will put it back on the dyno and spend 2-4 hours on a final tune. That's just one way to do i and it works for me. But, it's your ride, you decide.
What your saying makes sence just didn't think of it like that until you said it. So what i'll do is what you suggested, i want this to be a reliable build don't want to cut corners to save a few bucks.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

how much doo it recess the inner cam bearings? Also i noticed that the s.e. 255 cams are about .040 bigger than the stock cam's how doo i adjust the valves so they don't hit the piston or doo i need to buy adjustable push rods?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
how much doo it recess the inner cam bearings? Also i noticed that the s.e. 255 cams are about .040 bigger than the stock cam's how doo i adjust the valves so they don't hit the piston or doo i need to buy adjustable push rods?
The SE255 cams are widely used with a 103" upgrade. If you are installing the SE kit, no worries with valve to piston clearance. Total valve lift is not the control; any contact will occur at TDC, so look at TDC lifts to compare.

The advantage of using a tool designed to install inner cam bearngs is that the tool will have a shoulder that will set the bearings at the proper depth in the bearing bore. Having said that, I have installed them many times using an old cam. I never had issues but finally did get a proper tool.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

FINALLY finished the install tonight motor started rite up with no problems. Reved up good idoled somewhat ok it's defenetly sounds louder more throaty. Gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow or Saturday and get a quick tune done, put about 1500 miles on it then have the final tune done.