Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Difficulity To Install Chrome Engine Kit On FLHT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Difficulity To Install Chrome Engine Kit On FLHT?

OK.....have a 2001 FLHT with the dull engine pieces...(yuk!). Planning on removing both top and bottom rocker box covers, tappet covers, cam, tranny top, and inspection covers to get them chromed. MUCH cheaper than getting them replaced by Harley chrome pieces. Can you get to the rocker box assembliesby just removing the tank? Andhow hard would all this be? I have a service manual and a bit of experience working on bikes. Anyone taken this on?!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Difficulity To Install Chrome Engine Kit On FLHT?

Not sure how hard it is to get everything off to have it chromed, but you might take a look at this cheaper solution.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_polish.htm

Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've done it. Yes, you have to pull the tank to change the rocker boxes and lifter blocks. A service manual will walk you right thru the job.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Probably draining the tank will give you the most grief A word of advice when pulling the tank....try and get most of the fuel out of it first by riding it, bulb draining it, etc. prior to pulling the crossover tube. Upon reinstall, install a quick connect in the crossover, or install a "T" in the line and a plugged tube tied to the downtube to make future tank draining a snap. It's not that hard to do with a service manual.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way I've found to remove the tank is to clamp the crossover with a fuel line clamp (Sears sells nice ones and they aren't expensive) - when pulled, you have only one side to contend with - use a plugged piece of fuel line to seal that one off or just reconnect the crossover afetr you've raised the front of the tank vertically to keep the fuel from dumping.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 AM
YtseJam
Road Master

Sounds good.....appreciate the input! I'll do it.The week of the 22nd is when theplating shop can get me in. Looking forward to seeing some chrome.....

Old 01-17-2007, 12:43 AM
apachethunder03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine this past summer. Chrome engine kit, extended brake padel, shifters, braided t/f/b lines. The only thing that gave me a problem was the rear rocker box cover on the left side. not enough clearance. Had to send it to get the job finished.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Bug_Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't done the work yet, you can try gaining access to the rocker box covers simply by propping the tank up with some pieces of 2X4.....Matco makes a wrench specifically for getting the rocker arm bolts loose.

What are your plans regarding the lifter blocks? If you are going totake them off, you will either have to cut your stock push rods or take the heads off to raise the push rods so that the lifter blocks will come off....I'd cut the push rods and go back with adjustables....

Last thing, use your torque wrench and the tightening pattern in the manual for reattaching everything.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

There is a pretty slick cover that will go over the lifter blocks, so fortunately I won't have to go any further than the rocker boxes. I tore it all down last Saturday, and you guys are right, the tank was the worst! The only issue with the rear box was the bolt length for the breather. After working it a little, came right out.

I also have both the Clymer manual and the HD manual. Pictures and diagrams are great!Should have the parts back tomorrow. I'll let you know how the re-assembly goes!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

Done! And of course while the motor was torn apart, I decided to paint the gray block black. Although it turned out GREAT, what a PAIN to tape everything off! The good thing was that after going through the painting, putting the engine back together didn't seem that bad! Now just waiting on my chrome primary.

Thanks for all the input.....I'll post some pics soon.